This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Minimum system requirements

The minimum system requirements on my Kubuntu CD say that a minimum of 256mb of RAM is needed.

How strict is this? I have an old Celeron 400 with 192mb of RAM. It can take up to 256mb, but I don't have any extra memory that will work in it and it seems as though it's getting hard to buy it anywhere.

Do you think Kubuntu might run on the system anyway?

Re: Minimum system requirements

Try Xubuntu instead. Be aware if you are going to install that there are two different disks. The Desktop disk is a LiveCD but takes more RAM to install. The Alternate disk is a straight install and takes less RAM to install.
    "A problem well stated is a problem half solved." --Charles F. Kettering
    "Sometimes the questions are complicated and the answers are simple."--Dr. Seuss

Comment

Originally posted by ditto1958

Probably not very well.

Did you look at Xubuntu?

Comment

The minimum system requirements on my Kubuntu CD say that a minimum of 256mb of RAM is needed.

How strict is this? I have an old Celeron 400 with 192mb of RAM. It can take up to 256mb, but I don't have any extra memory that will work in it and it seems as though it's getting hard to buy it anywhere.

I have a PIII 500 with nearly 400mb RAM. It can run Kubuntu, but not very much. Open Office is crawling, but for instance snaring torrents is no problem.

I also have a Fujitsu Lifebook 500/256, and it is reasonably ok, so I guess the general "binding together" of the PC may be very important, as is what you are going to do.

Comment

I am trying out Xubuntu. My dinosaur computer ran the CD at a crawl. Tomorrow I'll try installing it on the HD, though, and see if that helps.

(This was my very first PC, purchased back in 1999. I'm actually surprised it still works as well as it does).

Anyone know anywhere to buy old model memory?

Comment

I have an older model IBM laptop, PIII 700, for which I recently bought some memory. I ordered mine through www.kahlon.com . The 256MB PC100 piece that I bought was a bit steep, but I have seen places where that memory was more expensive and some where it was less expensive. All in all, I got a fair deal and the shipping was free.

Other than that, you might be able to google for some site and comparison shop and be sure of the specs that you are looking for, especially on an older machine. Looking for a recommendation? Then try Kahlon.
            The next brick house on the left
            Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

does).

Anyone know anywhere to buy old model memory?
              Try e-bay.

Comment

Two things. When you finally get around to buying a new box, get the maximum amount of memory possible - it is always worth it - years down the road you will be running Kubuntu with no problems.

If you have a 32 bit system, try a 2GB swap - the maximum I think for 32 bit, but I have a vague idea that the limit might not apply anymore.

Regarding your present setup with 192 MB memory - try all of Ubuntu / Kubuntu / Xubuntu and see how they go. You probably have a good idea of the memory hungry programs like Gnome and KDE, perhaps OpenOffice.

Let everyone know how it works.
                HP Compaq nc6400, 2Gi, 100Gi, ATI x1300 with 512M

Comment

I tried installing Xubuntu on my dinosaur. Long story short, it wouldn't even install. It got to the part where it says to answer a couple of questions and it just hung there. Mouse wouldn't even work.

Maybe I'll try burning the alternate install CD and see if that will work.

Comment

You might be able to install slax on that thing, and get decent performance.

http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php

Most of the newer and more complete Linuces are really going to struggle with your memory limitations. Don't even think about running Open Office. :P

Comment

Ubuntu System Requirements
                      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                        You might be able to install slax on that thing, and get decent performance.

http://www.slax.org/get_slax.php

Most of the newer and more complete Linuces are really going to struggle with your memory limitations. Don't even think about running Open Office. :P
                        This looks promising - but I don't understand how to install Slax to the hard disk?

Comment

Originally posted by nilsA

This looks promising - but I don't understand how to install Slax to the hard disk?
                          On their home page that I linked, above, there is a link under the green clover leaf, where it says "Get Slax". Click that and the page will change. In the bottom left area you will see a small icon of a hand with the words "Get Slax" in blue text. Click that and it will change again, and in the middle right there will appear two download links, one for the CD ISO image and one for the compressed tar file. You want (I assume) the CD ISO image, so click that to start the download. When the download of the ISO image file is complete, you will burn it to a CD. Then that CD will be bootable on your computer (assuming it has a CD ROM drive), and there will be instructions on how to install it when it is booted.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
                            Originally posted by nilsA

On their home page that I linked, above, there is a link under the green clover leaf, where it says "Get Slax". Click that and the page will change. In the bottom left area you will see a small icon of a hand with the words "Get Slax" in blue text. Click that and it will change again, and in the middle right there will appear two download links, one for the CD ISO image and one for the compressed tar file. You want (I assume) the CD ISO image, so click that to start the download. When the download of the ISO image file is complete, you will burn it to a CD. Then that CD will be bootable on your computer (assuming it has a CD ROM drive), and there will be instructions on how to install it when it is booted.
                            It seems there used to be a "Install" option on the K menu - it is gone in 6.0. It seems to intend running from CD or preferably USB as it is. If I load "in RAM" it is pretty quick - but alas, I use the mouse lefthanded and require another language etc. - so CD use is no good for me. There are some explanations, but they also say that you may not get the proper settings ... oh well.

Comment

I installed it on a SD card one time, and then stuck that in my Asus Eee PC to boot it. It worked. But I was happy with English, and I didn't explore installing on the SSD, so you're beyond my experience with it. But if you could figure it out, I think it will run reasonably well on your hardware.

Comment

Working...
                              X