X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ThinkPad R61 - Anybody tried it?

Hey everyone,

I have Kubuntu 7 running on my desktop and love it. I recently bought a ThinkPad r61 with the Intel t8100 Core 2 processor and 4gb of Ram. I am running Vista Ultimate 64-bit and want to dual-boot with Kubuntu 8 Remix as well.

Has anybody run Kubuntu 8 on their ThinkPad? Also, do I want the Intel disc? It says x86 and I want to make sure I don't need a 64-bit version (if there is such a difference).

Thanks in advance!

Re: ThinkPad R61 - Anybody tried it?

I have a IBM T40p and Hardy Heron works fine.

Hmm, wikipedia states that the Core 2 is 64 bit. I would go with the 64 bit version, you should get better performance..
    Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
    CV and gallery at grn.dk
    Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

A few days ago I ran the live CD on such an expensive beast, it was perfect!

The X86 or Intel version is 32 bit, the AMD64 version is 64 bit.
      Regardless of brand of processor, Intel invented the 32 bit instruction set and AMD uses it for it's own 32 bit processors.
      AMD was the first to come up with a set of 64 bit instructions and Intel was wise enough to follow this lead and hence AMD64 is working on both AMD and Intell 64 bit processors.

Comment

Hehe great Teunis

I don't recall when ever a graphical desktop on a debian core has ever been perfect

It's good, but .....
        Check out my Ⓥegan youtube channel PlantSugar
        CV and gallery at grn.dk
        Please add [SOLVED] to topic subject when topic is solved.

Comment

Good resource for Linux ThinkPad users: www.thinkwiki.org

Comment

I have been running Llinux on my T43 for two years now and love it.
            Should work out for you.

Noel Vh
            ++Noel Vh++<br />Desktop support Lv II, III<br />Large Pharma company<br />New Jersey USA

Comment

With your new Thinkpad you should use the 64-bit Version cause the 32-bit Operating Systems can access a maximum of 3Gb of Ram. So if you want to use all of your Memory you need the 64-bit Version.
              Tauron ist quite right, just download the AMD64-Version it will work on you Intel CPU as well.

Comment

Originally posted by basilray

Has anybody run Kubuntu 8 on their ThinkPad? Also, do I want the Intel disc? It says x86 and I want to make sure I don't need a 64-bit version (if there is such a difference).

Thanks in advance!
                I have been using Kubuntu on my thinkpad T61. I have used 8.04, 8.10 and I am currently using 9.04. I am using the 64 bit version. All versions have worked very well. I have tried *buntu on serveral different brands of laptops and Lenovo LT's have all worked extremly well.

If you have the intel video chipset I would suggest that you go for 9.04 as the video driver situation is much improved. I am using the instructions here.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/X/UxaTesting

The beta 9.04 has worked flawlessly. If you don't want to go for the beta it is worth waiting for the stable to be released in a few days.

Have fun
                David 8)

Comment

Working...
                X