I corrected the casper script according to
    http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...r-persistence/
    but can not pack right again.

root@tc4400:/projectinit# gzip -dc /oldinitrd/initrd.gz | cpio -i
    43284 blocks
    root@tc4400:/projectinit# find . | cpio -o -H newc | gzip -9 > initrd.gz
    cpio: File ./initrd.gz grew, 7962624 new bytes not copied
    59060 blocks

The output initrd.gz is coming 15,4 MB (the original one is 7,4 MB).

Could anybody please tell me the right way to pack the file or share the working initrd.gz file for the persistent Kubuntu?

Thanks in advance

Re: Kubuntu 8.04 Persistent - Casper script bug

It looks sort of like you followed this:
    Build a LIVE Kubuntu Flash Drive, How-To
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...pic=3089474.15
    (most of these how-to's are almost the same)
    Double-check your details.
    You might check the bug link, too, but I don't recall anyone having trouble re-packing. One guy posted a file for Ubuntu--I think someone did it for Kubuntu, also, but it didn't work.
    I followed my how-to exactly and it all went fine, as have some others here. (But I do recall on one failed attempt getting the same message you got re the mismatching MB's.)
    My experience with these things is, Try it again!
    Sounds silly, but silly often works with these things.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

boycott:

Take a look at my post dated 13 May 2008 in this post on gottabemobile.com. I have both the instructions for patching and also a downloadable copy of the patched initrd.gz referenced in the post.
      Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

Nice work k0LO.
        Hope they fix the bug.
        An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks K0LO
          I downloaded your file but I'm getting BusyBox by booting.
          Not only by persistent booting but by not persistent booting too.
          If I'm using the original initrd.gz file the not persistent boot works properly.

Comment

boycott:

Which version of the Live CD are you using; the one with KDE 3.5 or the one with KDE 4? One thing that I did not test was if there were any differences between the initrd.gz files in these two versions. The initrd.gz file that I patched was for the KDE 4 Remix Live CD. I assumed that both would be the same but based on your experience that may have been a bad assumption.

If you are using the regular Kubuntu Hardy 8.04 with KDE 3.5, then can you try patching the file using the commands shown in the GottaBeMobile.com article?
            Mark<br />Kubuntu 8.04 on IBM X41T/ Pentium M LV 1.5 GHz/1GB DDR2/60GB HDD/Dual-boot with Windows XP Tablet Edition<br />Kubuntu 6.06 on Shuttle SD11G5 mini-server/ Pentium M 2 GHz/1 GB DDR2/80 GB notebook HD/500 GB SATA II HD

Comment

boycott:

I had some time to look at this and yes, the initrd.gz files are different between the two Live CD versions of Kubuntu (one w/KDE 3.5 and the other w/KDE 4). I have patched the file for KDE 3.5 but did not get a chance to test it, so I would appreciate it if you could try the patched file and let me know if it works correctly now.

The zip archive on my web site has both files inside so you can choose the one for the version of Kubuntu that you are using.

Comment

Thanks K0LO

I downloaded your patched initrd.gz w/KDE 3.5 but by booting the persistent mode I get message:

No write access to '/Home/Ubuntu/.ICEautority'. KDE unable to start.

(the same message with the not patched initrd.gz)
                The not persistent booting is o.k.

Interesting:
                If I unpack your initrd.gz and pack again the size stays the same.

Comment

boycott:

Are you sure that the persistent partition is set up properly; that it is formatted as ext3, and is named "casper-rw" in lower-case letters?

I am away on travel this week so I can't test this, but I will try in a week upon returning home.

Comment

Thanks K0LO

I repeated the installation according to site

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/2008/05...ll-from-linux/

and it works properly.

Comment

Hello Kubuntu forum,

I know this thread is about two years old but I found out how to pack the initrd.gz without making it grow in size.

This is what is used to unpack it: gzip -dc initrd.gz | cpio -i

and this is what is used to pack it back: find . | cpio -ov -H newc | gzip -9 > ../initrd.gz

Many web sites tell you to use this command: find . | cpio -ov -H newc | gzip -9 > initrd.gz but this will pack the file inside of the work folder, assuming you are in the work folder at the time. The one I showed you will pack it outside of the folder, in my case, on my desktop. If you pack it inside the folder, you will end up packing an initrd.gz inside of an initrd.gz, making it twice as large.

Hope this helps restore faith in Linux,
                      Roy

Comment

Nice tip, Roy, kind of technical but a nice contribution, nice refinement. Thanks.

Comment

Working...
                        X