i have some trouble installing kubuntu HH 8.04 (kde 4) on my new system :

Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, AMD 780G
    Athlon64 X2 4850e
    2x 2048MB DDR2 Aeneon PC 6400 CL
    WD 3200 HD (older IDE model)
    NEC DVD burner (older IDE model)
    BE Quiet R350SP in
    Aerocool M40

the installation cd is ok (did an md5sum check before burning, k3b data verification ok, build in cd check ok).
    memory test which comes on the cd also didn't report errors.

when removing the 'quiet' option (f6) in the boot menu, i can see the steps performed, all OK so far until the black screen.
    in 'f4 normal' mode, the progress bar idles for a while from left to right, then starts 'counting' and the last message i can see is 'preparing restrictive rivers' - then the screen turns black and nothing happens anymore.
    in 'f4 safe graphics mode' it goes a little bit further (4 steps) - the last i can see is 'loading hardware drivers' but then again screnn is black.

same behaviour for the live cd start or the normal installation to HD process.

i know the hardware is rather new, but there are some articles like this :
    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...0g_linux&num=2
    where an ubuntu 8.04 was successfully installed (ok, different board, but same chipset).
    the only thing i'm not sure about is the remark on the graphics drive :
    The Radeon HD 3200 (780G) is supported by the Catalyst 8.3 driver and xf86-video-ati git code on Linux. Open-source RadeonHD support for the 780G chipset is presently under development, but with their anti-AtomBIOS stance, it is likely some weeks away. The 8.3 Catalyst for Linux package (fglrx 8.47 driver) fully supports this chipset and was properly identified as the Radeon HD 3200.
    no clue if this may have something to do with my installation problem, but somehow they made it to install the beta version.

i've seen some other 'boot hangers' here in this forum, but no hint there seemed to match my problem.
    any ideas ?

thanks
    guido
    hopefully running soorn :<br />Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, AMD 780G<br />Athlon64 X2 4859e<br />2x 2048MB DDR2 Aeneon PC 6400 CL<br />BE Quiet R350SP in<br />Aerocool M40

Re: black screen during installation

no idea anyone ?
    i did some other tries:

- using ubuntu cd with same result
    - using fedora 9 preview : lists a lot of messages (too fast to read) last message : waiting for hardware to initialize -> black, installation frozen
    - last try with the old fedora 8. i didn't expect anything, but - installation completes without errors. BUT when booting the system, starts clock ok, udev -> black screen, boot hangs.
    tried to update F8 in rescue mode, but somehow can't get the nameserver thing to work. (eg ping on google.de without any reply, but ping to googles ip works.

hopefully running soorn :<br />Gigabyte GA-MA78GM-S2H, AMD 780G<br />Athlon64 X2 4859e<br />2x 2048MB DDR2 Aeneon PC 6400 CL<br />BE Quiet R350SP in<br />Aerocool M40

Comment

[solved] black screen during installation

there must be a problem with my dvb-s card.
      after removing this, kubuntu installed.

Comment

Working...
      X