X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Booting Problem, maybe Xserver

First of all my System:
    Desktop, Athlon64 Socket754, 2GB Ram,Albatron K8X800 Pro II Motherboard (VIA Chipset), some ATI Raedon card

The Problem: When I boot, usplash shows up and everything is fine until kdm starts, then I get a blank screen with the backlit of the tft turned on and I can't do anything: no crt+alt+backspace, no virtual terminals, everything is dead.
    When I start in recovery mode I can start kdm from the root terminal (not when I choose continue with normal boot) and then log into kde, everything works....(I think also the graphic card since the kernel modul radeon is loaded (lsmod)). I also tried a different graphic card(old nvidia), same problem. I reconfigured the xserver using dpkg. Does anybody have an idea?

Bye the way, what happened to the other configurations that used to be in xorg.conf? Is it now completely automated or did they split the config file....

Man, I should have sticked to my running Debian system..... I thought Kubuntu was easier to configure ;-)

Thanks for the help....

Re: Booting Problem, maybe Xserver

Has it always been like this, or did you recently do something to it?

Comment

I formatted my root partition and freshly installed kubuntu 8.04......

Comment

Is it the i386 version or the 64bit version?

Comment

Sorry I forgot to mention that, its the i386 version...

Comment

Is this KDE4? I've noticed on my system that X doesn't behave the way it use to. It seems KDE has tried taking over much of that "Automatically" as possible. With that said, things aren't quite right here either. I've tried editing the XORG.CONF file myself with things I know wouldn't "crash" it and it had no effect. "Ctrl-Alt-Num Pad - " use to cycle through all available Resolutions, but no longer .

Comment

hi, no its the regular 3.5.x (what ever the last one is), 4.0 is nice but not usable enough, yet....

Comment

Then I say it is a total redo of X and Kubuntu. I still have some annoyances which trying to reconfigure X doesn't work. If I ever run across something that might help, I'll post it here.

Comment

You state that you have "some ATI Raedon" card. Try this. Reboot and select recovery mode to boot to the command line as root. Type:
                  Code:
                  sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
                  When you are asked about your video driver, choose VESA. When finished, reboot with:
                  Code:
                  shutdown -r now
                  If you are then able to get to the GUI desktop, you can follow the instructions for installing your ATI driver using the Envy script in the HOWTO: Install and use the Envy script installer for video drivers
                  Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
                  "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
                  X