This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Linux Kernel after upgrading to 8.10

I upgraded my system from 7.10 to 8.04 and the kernel has been substituted.

Hopefully, everything went well with the upgrading.

BUT, when I boot with Grub the system freezes after starting "Fsck" (the new kernel 2.6.24) and I have to unplug the comp because also the hard disk seems to be blocked.
    I had the same problem in Kubuntu 7.10.
    If I boot with the old kernel (2.6.20) the system goes well and regular.

My system:
    Intel P IV 2.8 GHZ
    RAM 768 MHZ
    Video card ATI Radeon 9200SE 128 MB
    One disk fully Linux dedicated (in the other there is Windows...)

Somebody can help me? I would like to use the latest kernel.
    Also I wish to know if Kubuntu 8.04 works regularly with the old kernel or if some feature is not available.

TIA,
    Ciao,<br />Valter

Re: Problem with Linux Kernel after upgrading to 8.10

Fsck can depending on on the size of the disk take a long time but you should see progress.

The fact your system starts up with fsck points to a problem, I would suggest to start up from a Live CD and run fsck from there to see what's up.

Comment

Re: Problem with Linux Kernel after upgrading to 8.10

Also make very, very sure that GRUB is booting the new kernal. If it is for some reason booting the 7.10 kernal, then fsck hangs.

I found this out the hard way.

Note that I think that the upgrade s/w doesn't displace the old kernals, but simply adds the new kernals and new itmes to the boot menu - at least it did on my system - both the old and the new kernals are there. You have to look real hard at the menu items to make sure you are booting the new kernal. When GRUB comes up and says that it will boot in xx seconds unless you hit a key, hit a key and examine the menu items CAREFULLY to make sure you are booting the NEW kernal 2.6.24

Comment

Working...
      X