This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Fresh install (while keeping previous home directory) for remix

Tried to make the title be as specific as possible hope it makes sense. Basically I want to go with the kde4 version of Kubuntu but whenever I upgrade Kubuntu I always do a fresh install. My home directory is on a separate partition so I never get rid of it. What's the best way to go to Kubuntu 8.04 remix with a fresh install but using a previous home partition. Is it better to go with the kde3 version of Kubuntu and then install kubuntu-kde4-desktop? Or is it a non issue and I can just install the remix and not have any problems?

Re: Fresh install (while keeping previous home directory) for remix

I have never done this in KDE4 but it should work the same as KDE3.5 .
    After doing or in process of fresh install using the same "username & pasword"
    in new install should let you use the same /home/user directory as long as you didn't change
    any partition but "/" and only format "/"
    You would have to do the "manual" setup on partitions as you made fresh install, specified
    to leave /home partition untouched.

Warning !!!

While your in KDE4 donot, I repeat do not try to make any modification to 'Toolbar at bottom of
    Desktop, you will never get it back the same way, just add widgets to Desktop, KDE hasn't got the BUGS out of the Toolbar yet.

Comment

Re: Fresh install (while keeping previous home directory) for remix

Originally posted by mickeyboy
      t do not try to make any modification to 'Toolbar at bottom of
      Desktop, you will never get it back the same way,
      While I agree - there is a way: Uninstall KDE4, reboot, install KDE4. However, there may be problems doing this, as it can ruin the KDE 3 for some reason.

Comment

Working...
      X