This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Should I upgrade?

I have AMD64 athalon3000+ with1.5GB ram Nvidia FX56K, Kubuntu7.1 and KDE 3.5.8
    All working fine and looking good,
    I also have web+mail+ftp server running on it (all controlled by ISPConfig), all working good.
    Last upgrade from 7.04 was quite traumatic for me, since upgrading to 7.10 DT wanted to remove my server features and server upgrade wanted to kill my DT. finally I had to totally reinstall after upgrade to 7.10 desktop did delete the server.
    I really wouldn't like to go through total installation from zero again again.

Is there a away to upgrade without so many things being removed?
    Also, if I upgrade the different parts every time my systems sings for a spcific upgrade, would upgrades I would be missing then?

Re: Should I upgrade?

It's purely a matter of personal choice on upgrading or not. Depending upon a whole lot of variables (h/w, s/w apps, environmentals etc.) an upgrade can go either very well or very badly (as you have experienced). My personal preference is to do a bottoms-up build new on releases that I am going to use. I'm running in a multiple ops environment so I have the luxury of a production system (Kubuntu 7.x). I use this as my bread-and-butter until I have any new ops properly configured and functioning properly.

I guess on balance, the adage applies... if it ain't broken... don't fix it...

Just one perspective.

IndyTim

Comment

your system works fine.
      you are happy with it.
      there's nothing macroscopically new in 8.04.
      why would you want to upgrade, then?

remember this is not mickeysoft windoze:
      a) you decide, not them
      b) the next release is only 6 months away, not 6 years

with the money and time you'll save,
      buy your girlfriend a bunch of flowers
      and take her out to dinner.

cheers
      gnu/linux is not windoze

Comment

Thanks for the answers, I think I'll keep my configuration then, and go have a good time with my wife

Comment

Originally posted by t_ras
          Thanks for the answers, I think I'll keep my configuration then, and go have a good time with my wife
          I also had a hard time upgrading 7.04 to 7.10, I had installed and reinstalled 7.10 for many times and still cannot make 7.10 work as fluently as 7.04 did. (Yes, my 7.04 has been working and is still working without any single problem!) —— for me, 7.10 is simply a revision which comes to spoil the good reputation of Kubuntu.

Now that 8.04 is out, and it seems to have solved many of 7.10's deficiencies, but what I'm going to do is to try it on virtual machine first, see if everything seems to work. and then decide whether to upgrade/reinstall/ignore 8.04.

Comment

Working...
          X