This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Desktop sluggish with kernel 2.6.24-12

I have found that when using kernel 2.6.24-12 (installed by Hardy Heron beta upgrade), the desktop responds very sluggishly at times -- the mouse movement is jerky, menus open slowly, etc. -- and it seems worst when lots of disk chattering is going on. This is especially noticeable during login when lots of disk activity takes place. If I select kernel 2.6.22-14 at boot-up then this effect is not apparent.

Re: Desktop sluggish with kernel 2.6.24-12

You are not alone - I did a clean install of HH beta and I see the same result.

When I open a terminal window it takes about a minute before the shell prompt is ready.

Comment

As soon as you get logged in, open the Konsole and run
      Code:
      and observe which processes are using the most resources. It may be that an unneeded process (like strigi daemon) is being launched at startup, and you can disable it. I have not noticed such behavior with my updated-from-Alpha HH system.

Comment

Same here Dibl. I haven't noticed that problem. I have in the past had problems with Strigi being a hog. I disabled it and hadn't had issue since and same as now on HH.

Comment

top shows pretty much the same thing with kernel 2.6.22-14 as with 2.6.24-12 but the responsiveness with the two kernels is very different. I don't think its a cpu load problem. (BTW: I'm not running strigi)

Comment

Maybe some ideas for you here:

http://rudd-o.com/archives/2007/10/0...w-to-fix-that/

Comment

In the end I found that when I moved the disk containing the kubuntu installation from the second to the first IDE channel both kernels were equally responsive.

Comment

Working...
              X