X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Multiple Kubuntu Installations...

Can this be done?

I have been running Fiesty Fawn forever now, and I am thinking of putting Heron in a separate partition. If I installed Heron this way, will Grub still show the option to pick the Fiesty Fawn version along with the Heron version?

thanks in advance...

Re: Multiple Kubuntu Installations...

You can do it easily -- no problems.
    For the principles of what actually happens, see this:

How To GRUB Methods - Toolkit
    http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3081671.0
    and maybe this will become relevant to you also, Reply #1:
    --- HOW To: Change the Default Operating System (Also: Changing the timeout, boot menu, and other tips) Reply #1

Just beware of one thing: When you install the second OS, HH, you have a choice about which GRUB will run the boot show, the GRUB from Feisty or the GRUB from HH. If you wish to have Feisty run it, then when you install HH, specify that GRUB is to be installed only to the root partition of HH and NOT to any Master Boot Record. Afterwards, you will have to edit the Fesity boot menu (called /boot/grub/menu.lst) to include a boot entry for HH (and you can copy that boot entry from HH's /boot/grub/menu.lst and paste it into the Feisty menu.lst).
    If you wish HH to run the boot show, when you install HH, specify that GRUB is to be installed to the Master Boot Record of your hard drive. It does not really matter which you do -- you can have either OS run the boot show; you can always change it later at any time, easily.

If you mess up, no problem; any mistake you make here can be fixed (using the methods of that how-to, or post back here and a couple dozen folks here know how to do this).

Tip:
    Using the Live Kubuntu CD installer, Step 4, select the Manual partitioning method. Step 6, click the Advanced button at lower right, and that is where you may specify where to put GRUB using GRUB notation (hdx,y); so (hd0) is the Master Boot Record of the boot drive; (hd0,0) is the first partition of the boot drive; (hd0,1) is the second partition of the drive; (hd0,2) is the third partition of the drive; etc.

An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

I should clarify that if you make a mistake, it can be fixed easily * without * having to re-install either of the OSs.

Also, that your idea is a good one, to have both OSs to choose from, especially as you develop HH the way you want it; and finally, that many of us do exactly as you are planning to do--another nice thing about Linux!
      An intellectual says a simple thing in a hard way. An artist says a hard thing in a simple way. Charles Bukowski

Comment

Thanks for the great info!

yes, like you are thinking, Fawn works perfectly well and I am satisfied, but I may be missing out on something that may help me when using the newer version. Sooo, I want to proceed slowly so I do not lose what I have now.

thanks again

Comment

Good! Have some fun with it. It's a great way to learn more about things, too. I have 4+1 instances of Kubuntu around (2 on hard drive, one on external USB, and one on live persistent flash drive, plus the live CD); at times, I have even 3 Kubuntu's on the internal hard drives..
          Once you set this up, it's easy to maintain it and there's no hurry to delete anything. Glad you're on the road!

Comment

Working...
          X