• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home directory gone?

When I try log in my old account I get in a box:

Code:
    Cold not start kstartupconfig.
    and the back to the log in.

This came a little while after installing a new HD and putting Hardy Heron on that.

I now have:

1 HD for Windows 2000, 120 GB (two partitions) @ UIDE1/RAID1
    1 HD for Gutsy Gibbon, 20 GB @ IDE 1
    1 HD for Hardy Heron, 250 GB @ UIDE2/RAID2.

Windows boots just fine.
    At first also Gutsy Gibbon did so, but now I cannot log into my old account. I created a new one from command line, and that's just fine. But when I look for the old desktop, it is not there.

What more - when I go to Dolphin, I find all the disks. So, I open the 20 GB one. The correct size is shown. Then I go to home, it is still 20 GB. But when I reach my home directory - I'm suddenly at the 250 GB disk, where an empty directory correctly has been created in Hardy Heron.

And, when I go to the console - the command:
    Code:
    fdisk -l
    gives nothing.

Code:
    sudo vol_id -u
    nothing.

So far, I have not been able to get into Hardy Heron - but first priority now is finding my old home and desktop. The plan was to use this until I find Hardy Heron stable.

Re: Home directory gone?

Probably if you (via CLI) log in to your Gutsy system, go to your /home/nilsA directory, and delete the hidden directory named ",kde" and all its sub-directories and files, it will fix the login problem. Don't do it by becoming root, that can cause other problems. This "solution" will come at the expense of losing some settings that you had there, such as auto-start programs.

Comment

Originally posted by dibl
      Probably if you (via CLI) log in to your Gutsy system, go to your /home/nilsA directory, and delete the hidden directory named ",kde" and all its sub-directories and files, it will fix the login problem. Don't do it by becoming root, that can cause other problems. This "solution" will come at the expense of losing some settings that you had there, such as auto-start programs.
      Problem:

There are no directories in my home directory, just a couple of hidden files.

And the file structure is strange. The nilsA directory I find is found like this:

Code:
      cd /home/home/nilsA
      When I do this in Dolphin, it looks like the file structure is confused.

/ = 20GB
      /home = 20GB
      /home/home = 250GB
      /home/home/nilsA = 250GB

That is, the root and first level is Gutsy; the next levels are Hardy?

Are there ways to fix this? Disconnect the 250GB disk?

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm. That's just a little screwed up -- and it's hard to tell how it got that way. I wonder if your actual home directory (the first one at /home) has the hidden directories for Gutsy?

Somehow an extra /home directory has gotten "grafted" onto the original one. If you believe it is that external drive, then yes, go ahead and shut it down and disconnect it, and then reboot and see if you can boot Gutsy. I'm a little worried about that system ...... :P

Comment

1. Removed the new HD - could log into Gutsy ok.
          2. Put back the ned HD - same problem.
          3. Reinstall Hardy on the new drive - everything is fine, when it comes to booting, home directories and desktops.

The cause? Maybe the boot options was set wrongly the first time. I had forgotten that I just put it on CD - CD - CD, because if there is no bootable CD, this BIOS just go for the C: drive.

When I now put the order CD - HD0 - HD1 it is fine.

... and I learnt how to remove faults in KDE settings too Thank you!

Comment

Working...
          X