X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

kubuntu-kde4-desktop

hi to all,

i have hardy installed on mi laptop.

I wanna try KDE4 on my machine, i had use the instructions on kubuntu.org site and i had install kde4-core and some other *kde4* pakage ...

In past days i had found a new package "kubuntu-kde4-desktop", my question is: can i use this package to try a full options kde4 Desktop Enviroment?

thank's!

Re: kubuntu-kde4-desktop

I got all excited when I saw this -- I thought maybe it would fix KDE4. So I installed it -- no problem. KDE4, however, still refuses to run.

Comment

Originally posted by an3a
      I wanna try KDE4 on my machine, i had use the instructions on kubuntu.org site and i had install kde4-core and some other *kde4* pakage ...

In past days i had found a new package "kubuntu-kde4-desktop", my question is: can i use this package to try a full options kde4 Desktop Enviroment?
      If you like KDE/3.5, you'll be really disappointed in KDE/4
      • extremely limited ability to configure the panel, taskbar, and other KDE components
      • the "KMenu" is every bit as bad as the Micro$oft Windoze "Start Menu"

My 2¢ is that it's premature to use this KDE/4 snapshot. OTOH, Hardy-Heron/8.04a5 is solid and, with KDE/3.5.x, it. could. go. all. the. way.

Comment

1996! Wow. Welcome to the Kubuntu Forums. Hopefully, your years of experience may find it's way into helpful tips for those posting here.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Originally posted by JBHoren

• extremely limited ability to configure the panel, taskbar, and other KDE components

The KMenu in KDE 4 is, in my opinion inferior to anything Win 95 +++. To go klicking on right-left menues to find some stupid things is ...

Comment

i've installed kubuntu-kde4-desktop on my laptop with an intel 945gme video card,
            and 1024 x 576 resolution lcd, but after installation, both resolution and video
            card driver lost, i can only read posts under 640 x 480, even the gtf/cvt output the
            new resolution, my kde4 and gnome refuse to accept this value.

what can i do next?!~uninstall it or using the 640 x 480 to read??

Comment

Originally posted by JBHoren
              If you like KDE/3.5, you'll be really disappointed in KDE/4

My 2¢ is that it's premature to use this KDE/4 snapshot. OTOH, Hardy-Heron/8.04a5 is solid and, with KDE/3.5.x, it. could. go. all. the. way.
              KDE4 isn't "extremely limited" in its configuration, it just configures differently than KDE3 does. In fact, KDE4.2.4 has gone a LONG way toward making KDE self-sufficient in administering the entire PC, not just the desktop. KDE3 desktops generally need to have additional utilties available to configure the video, the sound, the printers, etc... All that is history with KDE4.

Except for local changes, most of KDE4's configuration settings are found under K --> System --> SystemSettings. Setting not present there can usually be found using the left mouse click dialog. No mystery. Just different.

KDE4 was released before VISTA, and it's new menu appeared in VISTA afterwards. Some folks erroneously assume that the KDE4 developers used VISTA's menu. Regardless, those who prefer the old KDE3 (Win9X/XP) menu can right mouse on the K gear and select "switch to classic menu" from the dialog which pops up.

While KDE3.5.x will be supported for security and maintenance problems, new development and new applications will be under KDE4 only. There's nothing wrong with staying with KDE3, however. It is still miles ahead in terms of speed, stability and security of any version of Windows and, according to the KDE4 dev team, it will be supported as long as a large segment of the community uses it.

I've been using KDE4 since Kubuntu 9.04 Alpha5 was released and it is now up to KDE4.2.4. I am using the *.30 kernel. On my Sony VAIO VGN-FW140E/H KDE4 is fast, stable, easy to use and configure, and it is beautiful. Easy on the eyes. 8)
              "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
              – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

@GreyGeek:
                The post you're quoting is from february 2008, early KDE 4.0 time :P
                (KDE 4 was pretty limited in configuraton back then)

Comment

Opps!

Didn't notice the date... made and "ASSumption" of myself.
                  "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
                  – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
                  X