X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Virtual PC 2007 issue

Hi,

I've just tried to use the Alpha 3 Live CD under Virtual PC 2007 on Vista (32 bit).
    Shortly after the kernel loads VPC breaks with the attached error

"An unrecoverable processor error has been encountered.
    The virtual machine will reset now."

Any tips/ideas?

Thanks,

Matt
    Attached Files

Re: Virtual PC 2007 issue

No clue

Does anything display immediately before you receive the error?
    Asus G1S-X3:
    Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

You're running VPC under M$ Vista. Hate to say it, but you need to address the problem on either, a Vista Support (I use the term loosely) or a VPC Forum.
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

You're running VPC under M$ Vista. Hate to say it, but you need to address the problem on either, a Vista Support (I use the term loosely) or a VPC Forum.
        Unfortunately very true and even if you get a response it will probably take ages.

Why not just boot the live cd and play?
        HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
        4 GB Ram
        Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

I guess the point I was trying to make is that Heron is doing something that Gibbon doesn't which causes VPC 2K7 to implode.

If I remove quiet and splash from the grub parameters we can see the last thing the kernel says before VPN gives up as per the attached.
          Attached Files

Comment

So you can boot to the 7.10 CD, but not the 8.04 alpha3

Have you tried either of the other 2 alphas?
            Asus G1S-X3:
            Intel Core2 Duo T7500, Nvidia GeForce 8600M GT, 4Gb PC2-5300, 320Gb Hitachi 7k320, Linux ( )

Comment

That last message refers to SMP (Symmetrical Multi-Processing) mode -- the kernel's technique for handling multi-core CPUs. Obviously, the Hardy Heron kernel is a different/newer one that the Gutsy kernel that worked for you before. I'm no kernel engineer, but I have noticed that some of these recent kernels have been addressing SMP "techniques", apparently -- I see reference to "pre-emptive SMP" and other terms of art. Probably one of these changes is responsible for your problem with the VPC. I guess that's more of an explanation than a "solution", unfortunately. :P

Comment

A quick glance round the download sites suggests that Alpha 1 and Alpha 2 are no longer available for download:

http://se.cdimage.ubuntu.com/kubuntu...hardy/alpha-2/ for instance is a 404

Not sure where I can get the previous alphas to see if they exhibit the same behaviour.

Comment

I just checked Kubuntu's site, and both alpha1 and alpha2 aren't on their server any more :P

That last message refers to SMP (Symmetrical Multi-Processing) mode -- the kernel's technique for handling multi-core CPUs.
                  dibl, where did you learn about SMP? I'd never heard of it before, so I checked it out in Wikipedia, and it looks pretty cool
                  Asus G1S-X3:

Comment

Working...
                  X