X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Postscript printer is reporting error printing with CUPS

Hi,

I've recently started having problems printing some PDF files under Kubuntu 8.04. All the latest updates have been applied to Kubuntu.

I have a Samsung ML-2151N(P) Postscript laser printer. I have had no problems printing with it until recently, and I suspect that it is either one of the recent CUPS updates or something with newer PDF files that causes the problem.

It is NOT the printer, as the same PDF files that cause the error when printed from Kubuntu 8.04 print just fine when printing to the same printer from Windows XP.

Note that this is happening with PDF files from different sources, so it it not like something specific to a given publisher of PDFs.

The error that is printed by the printer is:
    ERROR: undefined
    OFFENDING COMMAND: JPPVYI+BookAntiqua-Italic*1
    STACK:

Note that the font in question is reportedly embedded in the file according to Adobe's reader.

Has anyone else seen similar problems?

Suggestions on how to track this down?

I've searched on the web for the same or similar problems, but haven't found anything close yet.

I've done some searches here looking for other similar topics but didn't find any. If I missed an existing discussion please point me to it.

I really hate having to print from Windows to work around this, but I can do it since the printer is networked.

Thanks,
    Burt

Re: Postscript printer is reporting error printing with CUPS

OK,

Kind of answering my own question, in case it helps someone else.

Previously I was just using CUPS as installed as part of Kubuntu to handle printing to my ML-2151NPS printer.

Samsung has a "universal printer driver" for Linux. I installed the Samsung driver. That "improved" things by causing all printing to fail with a "busy error status'.

I fixed that by changing the printer driver from ipp: to socket: then printing started again. Along the way all my old printer definitions appear to have been lost, but that is not a big problem as they were for older printers.

After installing the Samsung printer driver, which does rely on CUPS, I can pretty much print the PDF files that were causing issues. I say pretty much because selecting booklet printing and trying to set a page range from the cover page doesn't appear to work in Adobe's PDF reader. I can set the first page to 'i' which is the page 'number' in the PDF for the first page after the cover, but the cover page doesn't have a page number either digit or alpha.

At least the PDF appears to print. Haven't tried the entire document yet, but as I was not able to even print more than the cover page before and I have printed up to 8 pages with no printer error I expect that this resolves the issue.

Burt

Comment

Working...
    X