This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

is there a way to disable onboard sound card? [SOLVED]

I installed a PCI Sound Blaster Audigy 2 and sometimes when I boot into linux, ALSA begins using my onboard sound card, Intel ICH5. Is there a way I can disable the onboard sound and tell the sound server to use the PCI add-on by default?

thanks
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Re: is there a way to disable onboard sound card?

Yes, there is. See this thread:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3106282.0

However keep in mind that you will have to do the OPPOSITE, namely, put the id for your onboard sound as 1 in /proc/asound/modules
    We only have to look at ourselves to see how intelligent life might develop into something we wouldn't want to meet. -- Stephen Hawking

Comment

can you disable it in your BIOS?

Warning! playing around with you bios can cause bad things if you change the wrong values NEVER play with your cpu/ram/voltage settings unless you know what you are doing.....

press del or f2 depending on your bios when you computer is first turning on and you should get to bios menu look around for an option to disable you onboard sound. depending on your bios it will be in a different place and perhaps named slightly different or not an option.look for something like advanced->onboard config find sound or the chips name and set it to disable.
      Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
      (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

BIOS doesn't support disabling onboard sound, only video. I'm going to give your method a try, doctoruidphd. It sounds easy enough.

Thanks!
        Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200

Comment

Worked like a charm. Thanks for the direction!

Comment

Working...
          X