Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

[Solved] Touchpad control on Hardy Heron (KDE 3.5)?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[Solved] Touchpad control on Hardy Heron (KDE 3.5)?

I'm a little confused. It seems that "disabling the touchpad while typing" can be done from system settings in Gnome, but is not so straightforward in Kubuntu. I see there are several related posts on these forums, but the approach to touchpad has changed hasn't it, from Hardy to Intrepid, not to mention Karmic?

I have seen a Kubuntu user recommend "touchfreeze" in the repos, but I can't find any touchfreeze.

On this site,
    https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Sy...Touchpad/Hardy
    Kubuntu users are recommended to use the Xubuntu method, i.e. to "enable SHMconfig", and a separate link gives instructions as to how to do this. The procedure seems a little daunting.

I will not baulk at it if this is really what is needed for Kubuntu users, and if it works, but is there anybody who can tell me whether this is really the best way to disable touchpad while typing?

Anybody out there?

Re: Touchpad control on Hardy Heron (KDE 3.5)?

Doesn't look complicated:

Kubuntu
    Enable SHMConfig.

For a preference tool which integrates into the KDE desktop environment, install the ksynaptics package from the universe repository. For help with installing packages see InstallingSoftware.

After installation, ksynaptics can be found in the KDE Control Center

You need to have the universe repository active, which it should be already. So, either use Synaptic Package Manager (if you have it installed), or install ksnaptics from the console:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ksynaptics
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Re: Touchpad control on Hardy Heron (KDE 3.5)?

Thanks, Snowhog, Knight of the Round Table!

Enabled SHMconfig, according to guidelines. Result: a default "lag" for mouse movement (said to be 2 seconds, but seems longer). Can be altered from console with
      syndaemon -d -i 2, where the final digit is the time lag in seconds. I'll settle for that.

ksynaptics is not found in the repos, either one way or another (universe repos are enabled, of course).

Calling ksynaptics yielded:
      $ sudo apt-get install ksynaptics
      Reading package lists... Done
      Building dependency tree
      Reading state information... Done
      Package ksynaptics is not available, but is referred to by another package.
      This may mean that the package is missing, has been obsoleted, or
      is only available from another source
      E: Package ksynaptics has no installation candidate

But my problem is solved, at any rate. Thank you!

Comment

Re: [Solved] Touchpad control on Hardy Heron (KDE 3.5)?

I was using gsynaptics (gnome) even on KDE. It has now been replaced by gpointing-device-settings You can get that through Synaptic Package Manager or Terminal with "sudo apt-get install gpointing-device-settings" (without quotes) It works best when placed in your startup applications.
        Robert Collard, Springfield, IL<br />Dell Inspiron 1545 Laptop, Intel Duo T3400 CPUs @2.16Ghz<br />Xubuntu 9.10 x86_64

Comment

Working...
        X