This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

fstab entry for USB HD

I used GParted Live CD to format my USB 500GB HD.

Kubuntu 8.04 sees it but it is owned by Root and has read only permission for users.

I assume that I need to put a line in fstab to mount it as read write for user, but I don't know what to put there.

Can anyone help, please.

Patz

Re: fstab entry for USB HD

Originally posted by Patz

Kubuntu 8.04 sees it but it is owned by Root and has read only permission for users.

I assume that I need to put a line in fstab to mount it as read write for user, but I don't know what to put there.
    Mounting a USB drive with /etc/fstab is not normally a wise idea. If you are certain that your requirement is to leave it connected full time to your system, then it is certainly possible to set it up that way. In that case, root is the owner, but you (with root privileges) can make user directories on it for whatever data your user needs to save and use.

USB drivers (and other devices) are designed to "hot plug" and be recognized by the running system. These devices are mounted by HAL and are owned by the user. That's probably what you want to do with your USB drive.

For fstab guidance, see #15 in the FAQs in my signature. Also here's a recent post:

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...opic=3108642.0

Comment

Re: fstab entry for USB HD

Hello Patz and Dibl -- Happy New Year !

I have a similar challenge. My (permanently connected Ximeta) USB drive mounts via fstab to /media/ximeta. When the drive is mounted, I select the properties of /media/ximeta, as root of course, and change the permissions of that mount point directory to full user access just like Patz is trying to do. When completed, I can go back into the directory's properties and see that my changes did NOT take.

Why does this not work for me? Thanks.

mhumm2
      "If you're in a room with another person who sees the world exactly as you do, one of you is redundant." Dr. Steven Covey, The 7-Habits of Highly Effective People

Comment

Working...
      X