This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

[SOLVED] problems with GParted and NTFS

to start off, i have 5 hard drives hooked up (4 being internal) plus another 2 that are not currently hooked up.
    the newest one i just got in yesterday (a second 1.5TB) that was unformatted. after installing it, booting up, logging in, and running GParted, the program could see the new hard drive, but won't allow me to format it to any file system.
    since all but my primary drive is ntfs, that's what i'm inclined to format it as, but when i try to use GParted to make the new partition over the entire drive, it says "A partition cannot have a length of -1 sectors".

i have the setting set at:
    Free Space Preceding = 0
    New Size = 1430797MiB (since it's the maximum
    Free Space Following = 0
    and have tried checking and unchecking the "Round to cylinders" option.

let's see, my fstab file is set to mount the drives by UUID numbers to /media/* rather than /dev/sd*# /media/* but seeing as how i can't find out what the UUID number of the new drive is without mounting it, i can't add it to the list yet.

i am currently running off a Kubuntu Live CD to try using GParted but still have the same results as before.
    i do not dual boot with any other operating system (i use VirtualBox instead).

any other info anyone needs to help me with this, just ask.
    i'm gonna exit the Live CD and go back to my normal boot.

thanks in advance to those that help
    Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Re: problems with GParted and NTFS

Are you using the Gparted that is on the LiveCD? Do you have a LiveCD of GParted itself? If you don't, you can download the 0.4.6-1 .iso by clicking here.

Try using the GParted LiveCD to do your HD formatting and setup.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

no, i have not used or even made a GParted LiveCD yet, but will give it a try and get back to you about the results.
      Thermaltake Armor chassis<br />Intel Pentium D 960 @ 3.6Ghz<br />4GB DDR2 memory @ PC2-5300<br />6x internal SATA HDD [4.27TB total]<br />1x external 1,000GB HDD via firewire<br />nVidia GeForce 7950 GX2 Extreme<br />52&quot; LCD HDTV | 1920 X 1080p rez<br />Saitek Cyborg keyboard | SilverStone Raven mouse<br />running Kubuntu 10.04

Comment

well, that did it... the GParted LiveCD worked a lot better than just using the program.
        still curious as why using the Kubuntu LiveCD and then running GParted didn't work, but it works now so who cares.

thanks Snowhog!

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] problems with GParted and NTFS

Glad that you got it resolved.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X