Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is anyone using a Nikon Coolscan III? Does it work?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Is anyone using a Nikon Coolscan III? Does it work?

I need a recommendation for a good quality stand-alone slide scanner that works well with Kubuntu 8.04 and KDE 3.5.10, please?

I'd like to use a Nikon Coolscan III and would welcome reports of full compatibility, please?!

The SANE project suggests that it will be fine but you can never have too much reassurance, eh?!

Cheers, Mark (Nottingham, UK).
    Beanpod, anyone?! www.Beanpods.co.uk

Re: Is anyone using a Nikon Coolscan III? Does it work?

I have (or had) a Nikon Coolscan IV. It USED to work (with Hardy), but I haven't been able to get out and take pictures in a while, so I gave it to my daughter, along with the camera. I'm ashamed to admit that she runs a Mac.

Comment

Thanks for the prompt reply...

When you say USED to work do you mean you ran into problems with Hardy or that the problem was that you weren't using it, please?!

Cheers, Mark.

P.S. Lucky daughter!

Comment

The Coolscan IV worked fine, it's me that doesn't work so well any more. I have no reason to believe that it wouldn't work with more recent versions of Kubuntu. I simply can't confirm that because my daughter now has the scanner and it is attached to a Mac.

More to the point. I believe that I set it up following directions from the SANE website.

Comment

Thanks, Al! I know the feeling!

Cheers, Mark.

Comment

It's now Feb 2010 and I have an LS-30 and SCSI PCI controller card (Adeptec AVA-2906) BUT......

the PC won't boot with the PCI card in place (no scanner attached).

Any advice, please? I think I've bought a pig in a poke.

*** EDIT ***

I now understand this freeze at boot-up could be caused by an IRQ conflict? I'm just a beginner - please help me!!

*** ANOTHER EDIT ***

I emailed Adaptec who suggested I move the SCSI card to the other PCI slot. Kubuntu can now see the SCSI card and the Nikon Coolscan 3 scanner but XSane reports that no scanners are connected. I'm confused. How do I check if the libsane libraries are "correct", please?

Cheers in advance, Mark (UK).

Comment

Working...
            X