Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

8.04 Kubuntu on a Netbook, has anyone done it?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

8.04 Kubuntu on a Netbook, has anyone done it?

Thinking of getting a netbook, but I want to run 8.04 KDE 3.5 if at all possible. Does anyone sell or offer such a beast? Has anyone gotten Kubuntu to work on a netbook? If so, which brand?

Re: 8.04 Kubuntu on a Netbook, has anyone done it?

HP Mini 1035NR. Comes with Windows XP installed. I added Kubuntu in a dual-boot set-up. Running Kubuntu 8.04.3, KDE 3.5.10. Has worked perfectly for the past eight months.

This machine has the best keyboard for a touch typist among netbooks.

A couple of notes: the display is only 600 pixels high, and some KDE system-settings windows won't go smaller than 700. You need to hold down Alt while dragging with the mouse/trackpad to move the window around so you can see the "OK' and "Apply" buttons. It's also a good idea to put the Kicker vertically on one side, to maximize vertical display.

It's a good idea to keep Windows on a machine like this, even though I never use it. Had a defective battery, and in order to get an RMA number for return under warranty I had to boot into Windows and run an app that HP provided.

Comment

It is not exactly what you wanted, but I would recommend Acer Aspire One D150-1 for Jaunty.

Almost everything works fine - KDE, plasma, desktop effects, webcamera, external microphone, Skype, USB speakers, sound, video, flash etc. No problems with installation on two the same notebooks. I installed from USB, prepared with unetbootin. I have notebooks dual bootable with XP.
      Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Originally posted by MAHillsgrove
        Thinking of getting a netbook, but I want to run 8.04 KDE 3.5 if at all possible. Does anyone sell or offer such a beast? Has anyone gotten Kubuntu to work on a netbook? If so, which brand?
        I've installed 8.04 on a Asus Eee PC (Celerons 900), it originally came with Linpuz Linux but I'm used to
        KDE, so no contest.

I've tried Ubuntu netbook release 9.04 as well, but thats a bit to heavy. So back to KDE 8.04.

My Wlan (Atheros) isn't working yet (on the netbook release it worked out of the box), gonna figure that out next. Wlan works using, an USB Wlan stick, so that 'll do it for now.

Just try it, Linux on everything, that my motto.

Rob.

AMD64 4800+<br />Asus M3N78 PRO with ExpressGate

Comment

After additional research, Dell offers the Mini10 and Mini10v. running Ubuntu 8.04. Not Kubuntu, but close enough to fill me with hope and confidence. I like the 3.5 because I could never figure out how to do multiple desktops with different backgrounds on KDE 4. Now I need to figure out how to switch to the KDE from Gnome. Gnome is just too brown for me.

Comment

Switch Between Gnome And KDE Desktops In Ubuntu Or Kubuntu
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

There is another netbook straight with Ubuntu 8.04 Mivvy L310. It's nice when a manufacturer takes care of Ubuntu 8.04. But I would be afraid what if the netbook is not good enough for newer versions. You cannot stay with 8.04 for a long time. Support from Canonical for Kubuntu 8.04 ends in two months.
              Kubuntu 16.04 on two computers and Kubuntu 17.04 on DELL Latitude 13

Comment

Working...
              X