This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Monitor help PLEASE!!!

OK, been playing with Linux for a while, Debian, Ubuntu and Kubuntu. Finally decided to install Kubuntu on my desktop (DELL Optiplex 755 w/ ATI Radeon HD 2400 graphics card w/ 2 monitors) Duel boot with Win XP pro. My only issue (so far) is that I can not figure out how to enable both monitors to share a desktop. Right now both monitors work but the same exact image is o both, my goal is to make them work as they do in XP with a shared desktop that you can drag items from one screen to the other. I have read so much now that I am confused. After installing Kubuntu 8.04.2 the system asked me about my graphics card and it downloaded the drivers for it (i think) but now I cant find anywhere to configure the monitors behavior. Do i need to add a program? xserver or something else? I'm really confused and I don't want to make matters worse by making unnecessary changes in the configuration so any and all help is greatly appreciated. Thanks...

-Dave

Re: Monitor help PLEASE!!!

Hi Dave

You know you installed a system that is already one year old, right? (Kubuntu is at version 9.04)

Anyway, I think you can get this set up running "sudo amdcccle" (the ati control panel)

Good luck!

Comment

When I try and run amdcccle i get this "amdcccle: cannot connect to X server :0.0" Any suggestions? Also, I realize that this version is a year old but the last time I tried V9 I didn't like the new interface it's using. If I knew how to make it act more like this version I would upgrade. But thats another story...

Thanks, Dave

Comment

Mmm, maybe if you try "kdesudo" instead of "sudo" ?

Comment

OK, I figured out how to get the ATI controll manager to work but now my resolution is stuck at 640x480 and I cant get it to change back?? Any suggestions? Do I need to change my hardware setting somewhere? Thanks...

-Dave

Comment

maybe try aslo System Settings -> Display?

Comment

Did that, no change.... I uninstalled the ATI controlls and then had to use the recover mode to rebuild the xserver. Now I have it back to where I started but still no duel screen (big desktop) so I will need to re install the ATI stuff and I'll give it another try.

-Dave

Comment

OK, I finally got it working but one problem. As soon as I reboot it reverts back to "clone" mode and I have to go in and change it back to get it to work right. what a pain... Is there a way I can make it keep the settings? Is this something that works better in Kubuntu 9? Thanks for the help.....

-Dave

Comment

Mmm, I am not sure it will be better in 9.04. I don't fully understand what you did, either, could you please elaborate? (step by step). It will also be helpful for future readers trying to use this thread ... thanks!

Comment

OK, so this is what I did... I was not able to change my resolution so I uninstalled the ATI control panel and then disabled the ATI drivers and rebooted. Upon restart my video didn't work at all so I rebooted again in recovery mode. This gave me the option to repair the xserver portion and that got my resolution back to what it should be. Then, I re enabled the ATI drivers and control panel, after that I was able to have the proper resolution and was also able to set up the duel screens, however... If I rebooted after that I would no longer have the duel screen setup, it reverted back to the clone screen mode. (both screens showed the same images) After that I went back in and rest the duel monitor mode as I wanted it and just didn't do the requested reboot. Today, I had to reboot and now I am back to where I was before I uninstalled everything. The resolution is so low that I cant even move the ATI control panel enough to even be able to hit the apply buttons... If anyone has any suggestions I am listening.... This is frustrating... Thanks...

-Dave

Comment

OK, so after going through all of that again I finally got my display back to where I want it. Only problem is every time I do a reboot it changes my settings. This is what happens upon reboot:

>log in screen comes up (at this point it is running in the correct mode, I can see both monitors and they are in "big desktop" mode. I can also move my mouse pointer from one monitor to the other.

>I enter my password and hit enter

>Once everything loads, my resolution changes from 2560 X 1024 to a lower resolution AND my screens are now "cloned" and no longer in "big desktop" mode

> At this point I have to open the "ATI catalyst control center" and change my resolution back to 2560 X 1024 and re-enable the "Big Screen" mode. The system tells me I need to reboot for the changes to take effect but I will not reboot until I have to.

Isn't there a way I can had set these setting somewhere? There must be something I can do to make this work as it should? Any help id greatly appreciated, thanks...

-Dave

Comment

Originally posted by dbpbandit

> At this point I have to open the "ATI catalyst control center" and change my resolution back to 2560 X 1024 and re-enable the "Big Screen" mode. The system tells me I need to reboot for the changes to take effect but I will not reboot until I have to.

Does this mean that, until you reboot, you have the proper resolution _and_ the big-screen mode? Why is Catalyst welling you to reboot if it is working already? (and, of course, we now that at reboot time it will be lost, and not only that, but also the graphics lost)

Is this correct? It seems like a bug/ What version of Catalyst is this?

Comment

Yes, this is pretty much correct... I don't know why it's asking to reboot since it works fine after i make the changes? could it be it hasn't written it to a file somewhere? The version of the ATI software is 1.8

Thanks,

-Dave

Comment

yep, that could be. Do you reboot with both monitors attached? Also: maybe you can edit the grub entry before booting (hit "e", remove the "splash" keyword, type "b" (for boot) and see if a text only boot goes ok. (or boot in recovery mode and when it gives you all the options choose "resume boot")

Another idea could be to upgrade to the latest drivers from their site (you can build kubuntu packages), but since ATI drivers are pretty shaky, I would probably not recommend that.

Comment

Yes, I reboot with both monitors attached. This graphics card has only one plug, the cable that plugs into it is split into two separate plugs, one for each monitor. I believe this is referred to as a single head card? As for editing the GRUB, blah, blah, blah, I'm still fairly new to Linux and that scars me. I May have to live with this for a while until I get my courage up. Now if I could just figure out how to get this DELL AIO 926 printer to work...... Thanks...

-Dave

Comment

Working...
                              X