This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scanner help needed

I have an Epson Perfection 2450 scanner.

My system:
    Kubuntu 8.04, and the scanner is connected by FireWire.
    XSane and xsane-common 0.995-1ubuntu1
    libsane 1.0.19-1ubuntu3

I'm having a difficult time getting SANE to recognize the scanner. When I run XSane as a regular user, it cannot detect the scanner. If I run it as root, it detects the scanner, but misidentifies it as an Epson GT-9700. If I accept this and go on to the UI, and try to Acquire Preview, it reports "Failed to start scanner: Error during device I/O. I have tried connecting the scanner via USB as well, but that also fails.

I would appreciate any advice. If there is any other system information I can provide that will help, please let me know what it is, and how to get it. I'm very experienced with DOS and Windows, but my Linux experience is not very deep; I'm not much beyond a rookie with Linux. I don't mind getting into configuration files, as long as I know where to find them and exactly what to do with them.

Thanks for any help.

Oh, I should mention that the scanner works under Windows, so I know the scanner is probably not broken.

I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Re: Scanner help needed

Read through Fixing Epson scanners in Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Linux completely. Yes, it's for Intrepid, but it does provide information about 8.04 and earlier. It may provide you with some insight on what to look at/do.
    Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
    "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks. I actually got it working with the help of that site. There was a line in epkowa.conf that was commented out, a legacy from the previous version of Ubuntu, apparently. It still seems a bit crippled, and there are some weirdities I need to figure out, but at least I'm scanning.

Thanks! None of my searches over the past week turned up that website, so you've been a huge help.
      I am relatively new to Linux, but quite experienced with DOS and Windows.&nbsp; I&#39;m comfortable editing things like fstab, etc., but I need specific instructions of what files to edit and what to add.<br /><br />My system is Kubuntu 10.10, using KDE 4.5.1.

Comment

Happy to have been able to provide you with any assistance that was useful.

Comment

Good catch, Snowhog! I was wondering what it would take to get my Epson scanner working again -- problem solved! Thanks!

Comment

Happy that it helped you out as well.

Comment

Working...
            X