This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Problem with Nvidia driver

I'm having a little problem with all versions of Nvidia drivers, I have a Geforce 8600GT. What's happening is that every time I shut down or reboot, it initiates in terminal mode. What happens exactly is what always happens each time the kernel is updated and you have to reinstall the drivers, only that I'm having this problem each time I reboot. So if I want to initiate kdm, I need to install the driver every time I turn on the pc. I thought it might be a problem in the linux headers version and that the driver installs down a linux headers version not according to the kernel version, but I checked and everything was ok. Does anyone has an idea of what's happening I have a MSI K9VGM motherboard and an AMD Athlon X2 3600.

Re: Problem with Nvidia driver

sounds like your xorg.conf file is messed up.
    i would say start w/ a clean xorg.conf file. you can do this very easily from the command line
    Code:
    sudo dpkg-reconfigure -phigh xserver-xorg
    this will reconfigure you xserver package to use the generic "nv" driver. thus allowing you to start kdm with no problems
    after it finishes you can start kdm
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start
    i would then open the hardware driver manager and remove the nvidia driver and then reboot and reinstall it.
    if you can't get it to work still remove it yet again and try using ENVYNG to install the driver for you, you can get envyng by installing the package 'envyng-gtk' found in the universe repo

hope that helps.
    Mark Your Solved Issues [SOLVED]
    (top of thread: thread tools)

Comment

Which driver version are you running?

I just now installed the new 180.18 beta driver on my Kubuntu 8.10 system, and it looks great. I'll be happy to share the recipe if you're interested.

Comment

Thanx to both, I've just installed the 180.06 driver and the problem fixed!!!

Comment

Working...
        X