This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need driver for wireless network device

I've been using a trendnet TEW-424UB wireless usb 2.0 adapter with windows xp for several years and i would like to continue using this device with kubuntu. how do i obtain and install a driver for this device?

Re: need driver for wireless network device

Welcome to the world of Linux and Kubuntu

Before we go much further, please be advised that since wifi card manufacturers, for the most part, use very proprietary drivers that they, for the most part, do not share with the Linux world, getting one of these puppies to work requires work. There are exceptions, and there are projects that help to get the job done. It's not always plug-n-play.

The Trendnet TEW-424UB uses either a Zydas wifi chip or a Realtek wifi chip. In either case, you can install ndiswrapper and use that to run the W2K or Win XP driver that came on the install CD for the TEW-424UB device. For the most part, you'll need to enter a few very specific commands in a Konsole terminal window and modify a couple of files. It's not terribly difficult, but it requires attention to detail.

Is your wifi router set up to do WPA or WPA2? If so there will also be some software that can be configured within KDE to perform the wpa supplicant work.
    The next brick house on the left
    Intel i7 11th Gen | 16GB | 1TB | KDE Plasma 5.24.7 | Kubuntu 22.04.4 | 6.5.0-28-generic

Comment

Re: need driver for wireless network device

My router uses WPA.

Comment

Working...
      X