X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

CD-Rom and ThumbDrive = HAL error

Feature only available with HAL

When I used to put in my ThumbDrive or a CD to my CD-Rom, it would auto-mount and become readable. Since I updated to Hardy Heron, My CD-Rom drives get the HAL error, and my ThumbDrive does not mount. Also I can mount the ThumbDrive by hand.. But it then needs root access to use it? I checked Adept to see HAL and it is infact installed! How do I get my drives back working?! Thank you.

Re: CD-Rom and ThumbDrive = HAL error

I had exactly the same problem. I did an upgrade from 7.10.

I had to download the 8.04 live CD and do a fresh install from the Live CD to fix the problem.

I posted on the problem on http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/index.php?topic=3094218.0"]this thread[/url].

Nobody knew a solution on the problem.

My investigation/searches led me to believe that upgrading instead of doing a fresh Live CD install leads to these problems for some or maybe a lot of people, but not everybody - probably why it doesn't get fixed. Nobody seems to know the cause. I found out that some or maybe a lot of people refuse to do upgrades and ALWAYS do fresh Live CD installs just to avoid these problems.

Comment

I like fresh installs myself, but have done tons of modifications to my OS and don't wanna loose them. I will keep in mind that this problem will be fixed on a fresh install however. Thanks for the reply!

Comment

Originally posted by Goce
        I like fresh installs myself, but have done tons of modifications to my OS and don't wanna loose them. I will keep in mind that this problem will be fixed on a fresh install however. Thanks for the reply!
        Yes - there are methods for restoring your package state after a fresh install. One of the them was linked to on the thread I pointed to. There was another method on Linux Questions (I believe).

The script for saving and restoring came down to the following:

Code:
        dpkg --get-selections | grep [^de]install$ > installed-software.txt

sudo aptitude update; sudo aptitude safe-upgrade

sudo aptitude install dselect

sudo dpkg --set-selections < installed-software.txt

sudo dselect
          - Choose option "3. [ I ]nststall Install and upgrade wanted packages." That should install everything you had before!
        I ended up doing the first command to save the current packages list and then doing the same after the fresh install. I then simply used "diff" on the two files and went through the diff list manually and installed the missing packages I really wanted again. It is amazing how many packages I have downloaded to "just try it out" and then totally forget about since they don't really do anything for my use. I took me a while to go through the diff list manually, but for me that was better than just blindly installing everything again.

Comment

Working...
        X