This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NVIDIA driver help?

alright, i'm sort of new when it comes to linux. i've only been using it for around 8 months now.

anyway, i installed 8.04 KDE4 remix. it's been pretty stellar so far, with only minor issues such as the "admin mode" issue in the System Settings. unfortunately, i accidentally got rid of the "Restricted Drivers". the manager is still there, but the "NVIDIA GLX-new" driver just won't show up. I've already tried reinstalling it through Adept. when i try to use Envy, it just gives me nasty errors and then i have to restore X in the command line.

maybe i could just install the direct driver from Nvidia? thanks!

Re: NVIDIA driver help?

I would encourage you to stick with Envy. Did you install the HH version of Envy -- make sure you download the right Envy file for HH. It really should work, including pulling in its own dependencies.

It's possible to use the Nvidia installer, but then you get into the need to manually remove the pre-existing driver files, and it gets messy ....

Comment

alright, i reinstalled Envy and the driver installation "seemed" to work. Then when i rebooted it just gave me a command prompt, the screen flashed a few times (X trying to start, i assume) and then kicks out something my monitor can't read. the X reconfigure tool in the safe mode is pretty handy, actually. this is the same problem i had after i installed the driver directly from Nvidia.com

so it makes me think this is my computer instead of the drivers themselves. is there some way i could completely purge all traces of past drivers?

Comment

Probably the card is gagging on the splash screens. You may need a "vga=xxx" boot option, but first let's make sure the basic xorg.conf configuration is right.

Try getting to the command line and

Code:
        sudo nvidia-xconfig -add--argb-glx-visuals --composite
        Then do startx and see what you get. If the resolution is not what you want, Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" with no quotes, and set the resolution (leave refresh on auto), then click "save to X configuration file".

Comment

Hello, I too am having problems with HH (KDE3) running on a mother board with NVIDIA MCP61S. The install went OK but I cannot get more than 600 X 800 screen resolution and the detected graphics card is VISA.

Here is what I have done:

Installed envyng-qt (not envyng-qt) along with envyng-core using Adept.

Shut down and rebooted then ran EnvyNG but got the following:

Error:EnvyNG couldn't carry out the task you chose becouse of the following error:
          /usr/lib/python2.5/site-packages/apt/__init__.py:18: FutureWarning: apt API not stable yet
          warnings.warn("apt API not stable yet", FutureWarning)

From the terminal I run:
          sudo nvidia-xconfig -add--argb-glx-visuals --composite

got:
          Invalid commandline, please run `nvidia-xconfig --help` for usage information.

Then I did a sudo nvidia-xconfig --help and got:

nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder26) Thu Feb 14 18:13:41 PST 2008
          The NVIDIA X Configuration Tool.

This program is used to manipulate X configuration files, specifically to enable NVIDIA X driver
          functionality.

Copyright (C) 2005 NVIDIA Corporation.

In its normal operation, nvidia-xconfig finds the system X configuration file (or generates a
          new X configuration if it cannot find the system file), makes sure the configuration is usable
          by the NVIDIA X driver, applies any updates requested on the commandline, and writes the new
          configuration to file.

Please see the NVIDIA README for a description of NVIDIA X configuration file options.

nvidia-xconfig [options]

-c XCONFIG, --xconfig=XCONFIG
          Use XCONFIG as the input X config file; if this option is not specified, then the same
          search path used by the X server will be used to find the X configuration file.

-o OUTPUT-XCONFIG, --output-xconfig=OUTPUT-XCONFIG
          Use OUTPUT-XCONFIG as the output X configuration file; if this option is not specified, then
          the input X configuration filename will also be used as the output X configuration
          filename.

-s, --silent
          Run silently; no messages will be printed to stdout, except for warning and error messages
          to stderr.

-t, --tree
          Read the X configuration file, print to stdout the X configuration data in a tree format,
          and exit.

-v, --version
          Print the nvidia-xconfig version and exit.

-h, --help
          Print usage information for the common commandline options and exit.

-A, --advanced-help
          Print usage information for the common commandline options as well as the advanced options,
          and then exit.

Then I did a sudo nvidia-xconfig --version and got:

nvidia-xconfig: version 1.0 (buildmeister@builder26) Thu Feb 14 18:13:41 PST
          The NVIDIA X Configuration Tool.

This program is used to manipulate X configuration files, specifically to
          enable NVIDIA X driver functionality.Do you have any suggestions as to what I do next?

Copyright (C) 2005 NVIDIA Corporation.

Then I did a sudo nvidia-xconfig --tree and got the following:

Using X configuration file: "/etc/X11/xorg.conf".

WARNING: The CorePointer device was not specified explicitly in the layout;
          using the first CorePointer in the config input list.

WARNING: The CoreKeyboard device was not specified explicitly in the layout;
          using the first keyboard device.

ServerLayout "Default Layout"
          |
          |--> Screen "Default Screen"
          | |
          | |--> Monitor "Configured Monitor"
          | | |
          | | |--> HorizSync
          | | |--> VertRefresh
          | |
          | |--> Device "Configured Video Device"
          | | |--> Driver "nvidia"
          | |
          | |--> Option "AddARGBGLXVisuals" "True"
          | |--> DefaultColorDepth 24
          |
          |--> InputDevice "Generic Keyboard"
          | |
          | |--> Driver "kbd"
          | |--> Option "XkbRules" "xorg"
          | |--> Option "XkbModel" "pc105"
          | |--> Option "XkbLayout" "us"
          | |--> Option "CoreKeyboard"
          |
          |--> InputDevice "Configured Mouse"
          | |
          | |--> Driver "mouse"
          | |--> Option "CorePointer"
          |

Extensions
          |
          |--> Option "Composite" "Enable"

Do you have any suggestions as to what I do next?

Thanks,

Ray

Comment

Hmmmmmmmm. Well, I don't know for sure what the problem is. I took a look at the Envy web site, and here is an idea that might work for you. First, make sure you have enabled the "universe" and "multiverse" repositories in Adept Package Manager. Don't forget to "Fetch Updates" if they weren't previously enabled.

Then, I would recommend that you print this post, then exit the Kubuntu GUI by doing Ctrl-Alt-F1, and then shut down the X server with
            Code:
            sudo /etc/init.d/kdm stop
            (or kdm4 stop if you're using KDE4). Then do the following:

Code:
            sudo apt-get remove envy
            Code:
            sudo apt-get remove envyng
            Code:
            sudo rm -R /usr/share/envy
            Code:
            sudo apt-get install envyng-core
            Code:
            sudo envy -t
            That last command will launch the Envy textual installer. I would advise first use "remove driver" and then if it exits you can just
            Code:
            sudo envy -t
            again, and this time choose "install driver" and follow the prompts to install the Nvidia driver.

If it appears to work, do sudo /etc/init.d/kdm start to restart the X server and log in and try it.
            I hope this works! If not, there's always 2 more ways, in Linux.

Comment

Hi, It Works! Actually, after getting the response listed in my last post, I shut the machine down for the night then after receiving your post, I fired up the machine and saw a NIVIDA image as the machine was booting and when I got into Kubuntu, I had good resolution (full settings) and I have working audio!

So I didn't need to do any of your last post, just shut down after the previous indication that things did not take.

Anyway, thanks for all your help!

Ray

Comment

One more thing I failed to say, now System Settings > Monitor and Display > Hardware Tab indicates nvida for both hardware and driver! I think we are there!

Thanks again,

Ray

Comment

Cool! Have fun with it! 8)

Comment

sorry it took awhile to get back.

it was actually my Xorg. i just had to point it in the right direction as to which driver to use.
                    feeling a bit stupid, but that's alright

thanks!

Comment

Excellent!

Now if you want to change the defaults, you can use Alt-F2 "kdesu nvidia-settings" and then when you've got it, you click the "Save to X Configuration" button to save it to xorg.conf.

Comment

Working...
                      X