X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wireless and sound suddenly not recognised

Hi
    I made the move to linux yesterday, installing kubuntu 8.04 onto my Thinkpad T40. I was very happy to find that, on first impressions, everything worked perfectly - I connected to my wireless network no problem and after following the install guide at howtoforge.com had downloaded the various packages to get my mp3s playing.

So this morning I tried to a) try to make some improvements to the look of the desktop, and b) install Virtual Box, so I can still run some M$ programs. But when I restarted after installing Virtual Box I suddenly get no wireless or sound. A message box tells me 'xine was unable to install any audio drivers' and clicking on the wireless icon shows 'knetworkmanager - no device found'.

I've uninstalled Virtual Box and tried to reverse any appearence changes I made, but it's made no difference. Can anyone help, I'm stumped as to what I've done or how to even start fixing it, without reinstalling again from scratch.

[edit] I had to get the machine working so I've reinstalled Kubuntu. Audio and wireless are back.

Oddly, however, the quiet sound problem that I had on LiveCD, but not on install, has continued into this install. I know that there are threads already about this so I'll investigate there.

Re: Wireless and sound suddenly not recognised

Hey it's too bad you're having difficulties...

I was able to find Linux drivers for your computer on IBM's website: (Copy the entire link for correct OS and Model number selection)

http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/si...5&machineind=0

Hope this works, give me a thumbs up if it works (if there is sucha system).

Comment

Working...
    X