X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Must mount iPod as root?

Hello,

I was hoping someone could shed some light on my problem, when I try to mount my iPod, I get this message:

Unprivileged user can not mount NTFS block devices using the external FUSE
    library. Either mount the volume as root, or rebuild NTFS-3G with integrated
    FUSE support and make it setuid root. Please see more information at
    http://ntfs-3g.org/support.html#unprivileged.

Yes, I have visited the site but to linux newcomer it doesn't really make much sense.

How do I go about mounting the iPod as root? ( there are no such options in dolphin) I'm guessing in the console...I tried:

sudo mount sdb1

and got a complaint that it (sdb1) cannot be found in /etc/fstab.

I'm *kinda* new at mounting things manually and would appreaciate any input.

Thanks,

Anna
    I break it, therefore I learn it.<br />

Re: Must mount iPod as root?

Try adding your user to the 'fuse' group. K Menu > System Settings > User Management > Administrator Mode > Select user > Modify > Privileges and groups > Secondary groups > Check 'fuse > OK.
    I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Thank you for the fast reply, cantab.
      However, the error message is still the same...
      I googled the given error and it only turned up a few threads ( which is a good thing for other linux users I suppose), mainly regarding external hard drives and memory sticks; nothing useful so far.

Will keep trying though 8)

Comment

Hang on

are you sure the iPod uses NTFS? According to Wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ipod

it will be either FAT32 or HFS+, depending on whether the device was inititially connected to a windows pc or a mac.
        I am running Ubuntu 8.10 (yes Gnome) with upgrades applied daily about 0900 UK time. Hardware is Dell Precision 420, 2x 800 MHz PIII, 512 MB RDRAM, nVidia GeForce 6800 128 MB AGP graphics, 18GB SCSI and 500GB IDE HDDs, DVD burner, Hauppage TV card.

Comment

Well that's kind of funny...but the error was given by Kubuntu each and every time I tried to mount the iPod (I copy-pasted it-the error I mean). Initially it was plugged to a Windows machine ( Vista 64 bit).The other thing that happens is that when the ipod is plugged in and I open the "Storage Media" it first says "The process for the media protocol died unexpectedly". When I click it again it shows my iPod and everything else - but this happens every time I plug the iPod in...I'll open another post with error as the subject...I noticed that posts with "iPod" in the subject are often "overlooked".

Thank you for your help cantab

Comment

Originally posted by Linuxgirl

How do I go about mounting the iPod as root? ( there are no such options in dolphin) I'm guessing in the console...I tried:

sudo mount sdb1

and got a complaint that it (sdb1) cannot be found in /etc/fstab.
            The mount command must now what you want to mount where. Mounting is attaching it to your file system. Let's say you want to attach it to the /home/anna/ipod directory, and assuming your ipod is recognized as sdb1, enter:
            Code:
            sudo mount -t auto /dev/sdb1 /home/anna/ipod
            The option -t auto means type of filesystem is determined automatically
            Kubuntu 9.10<br />

Comment

I actually managed to mount the iPod to /mnt/ipod as it says so in the amarok help. It gets autodetected ( within amarok) but then Amarok displays this error message :"Media Device: failed to create lockfile on iPod mounted at /mnt/ipod: Permission denied". I thought it was a user permissions thing so I changed the permissions for /mnt/ipod and its subfolders so that anybody can view&modify content but that didn't help. So now I'm thinking maybe the iPod's the one not allowing changes?

Thank you kuby (now I know how to mount!)

Comment

Working...
              X