This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Microphone not working in kubuntu 8.04

I installed kubuntu 8.04 x64 and sound works but i can't set microphone to work. My sound card i detected as Intel HDA. I have Asus p5b deluxe with ADI AD1988B chip.
    I tried microphone with skype test and no luck. On mandriva 2008.1 everything works fine. Please help!

Re: Microphone not working in kubuntu 8.04

Did you get any joy with this? I'm having the same problem.

Jim
    Jim Hitch<br />English Language Services Limited<br />http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Comment

Do your input settings in KMix seem appropriate? Also, for Skype in particular, my mic is part of my webcam, but Skype always selected my scanner as the input device by default... you sure you have the correct usb device there?

Comment

I have the same problem. I actually just recently noticed this problem. Being away from my computer (ATI Technologies Inc IXP SB400 AC'97 Audio Controller) for a while, I noticed that probably since the update from gutsy to hardy my mic stopped to work, which earlier did it out of the box.
        So far I didn't find any useful hints in the net - I already checked the Alsamixer on console, Kmix, all options on skype, nothing. I also installed pulseaudio (removed it again now), because I found a couple of workarounds that sounded good for this way. Now using standard Alsa drivers again (as I did before on gutsy), but just hear myself through the boxes, krec and skype don't work at all. the funny thing is that a small guitar tuning program (lingot) gets input from the mic...

any help? imo that was a bad update (just using lyx, gimp and scribus most of the time, i didn't notice any real difference except a broken translation in d3lphin, that i had to fix via babel and the end of skype's mic functionality, that i can't fix so far, wasting already quite a lot of hours on this issue)

all the best,
        daniel

Comment

same problem just installed 8.04 kde 3.5 on my "new" hp ze4125 with ALI 5451 (duplex)

larry@larryslaptop:~$ lspci | grep Audio
          00:06.0 Multimedia audio controller: ALi Corporation M5451 PCI AC-Link Controller Audio Device (rev 02)
          larry@larryslaptop:~$

not using Skype, I am using Gizmo. I tried both the alsa and OSS options. Krec doesn't record either.
          no internal mic or line in mic.

would like to get it going with the exception of the ATI mobile radeon7500 only doing about 150fps I will have everything working including the modem.

Comment

well, not finding anything useful so far i went the pragmatic windows way. saved my data, and reinstalled Gutsy. everything works out of the box (except the fglrx ati stuff had to be redone).
            skype with good quality and WPA Enterprise at university is working again too.

all the best

Comment

Hey guys..

Same problem here..
              I had kubuntu 8.04 installed on my pc a month ago..
              I recently tried to use skype and got an error msg..The mic didn't work..
              I tried all sorts of thinks in the alsamixer and in kmix..Still nothing..
              I can listen my self through the speakers so the mic is working ok i suppose..

Still, i cant record anything on krec, nor can i use skype..

It would be really nice if an older member could help as here..
              Is this a bug? or is there a way around it??

Comment

Have you got a USB headset?
                Jim Hitch<br />English Language Services Limited<br />http://www.englishlanguageservices.co.uk

Comment

And has anybody fiddled around with kmix yet? I have always had to that to get my microphone to work, regardless of distro and version.
                  Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Thnx for the immediate answer guys..

Mine is not a usb headset, the mic is connected on my SoundCard (SB Live 5.1)..

As i mentioned, I tried some stuff written on other forums and played around with Kmix and Alsamixer but nothing..

What u suggest I should do?

Comment

I've tried every setting on kmix too, about twice, and no joy. I haven't done it yet myself, but I'm going to get myself a USB headset, I think somewhere in this thread someone said that they had one and it worked.

Jim

Comment

I said this before in my own thread, but I'm still having problems with my internal mic also. I have a Sony VAIO. I tried everything in this thread and I looked at others on the net, but nothing works. Sometimes the on amsn, I saw it look like it's recording, but then it just says no sound detected. Other times, it will just say there was no input detected at the onset. Audacity doesn't work with it either. Is there anything to do? Does Jaunty fix this problem?

Comment

Working...
                        X