This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Restricted Drivers

Were the restricted drivers removed from Hardy? In Gusty, I could access them from System Settings --> Advanced but they're not there in Hardy any more! I see some restricted driver stuff in Adept --> Manage Repositories (Proprietary drivers for devices (restricted)) so I guess we can still use them but I don't see how to turn them on/off.

I hope U(K)ubuntu isn't starting to 'dumb down' stuff so we can't access/tweak any more. That was one of the reasons I left Windows!

Thanks!

Re: Restricted Drivers

look in your Kmenu --> System --> Hardware Drivers Manager. Its a new app , I think, called Jockey-kde, which is a kde front-end to Ubuntu's new third-party driver manager.

Comment

Ahh, thankyou claydoh! I see it now! I've been messing with Envy and the prop. nvidia drivers. Man, what a struggle! It went to 640x480 at one point but I'm finally using the nvidia prop. drivers (installed via Envy) at my native resolution of 1680x1050 and all appears to be well for the moment.

The only reason I want to use the prop. drivers is that the GPU temp (I have a fanless card) can then be monitored. Couldn't find a way to do that with the restricted drivers.

So now I guess when the kernel gets updated, my video driver will need to be complied in again. The newest Envy script I used (1.0.4) and subsequent documentation at Alberto's homepage:

http://albertomilone.com/nvidia_scripts1.html

seems to indicate that it will survive kernel upgrades but I'm not so sure ...

So WHY oh WHY does the video driver business have to continue to be so difficult I know, sort of a rhetorical question due to proprietary and all but still!

Thanks!

Comment

@footer if you installed Envy, then the consequences of a kernel upgrade are pretty painless. When you are surprised to see the CLI staring at you instead of your desktop, just log in and do
        Code:
        sudo envy -t
        and then
        Code:
        startx
        and you're back in business.

I'm afraid the answer to your question is "Because we are only 4% of the installed base", or something to that effect .....

Comment

That simple huh?

Thanks for that dibl! I made a note of it and will give it a shot the next time the opportunity presents itself. And I do hear you about being such a small user base. I always go back to the old saying, "You get what you pay for!" and try not to complain too much!

Long live Kubuntu!!!

Comment

Working...
          X