X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wanting to upgrade from Gutsy

Hello all,

After over a year of not using my Kubuntu installation I fired it up yesterday to find out that not only did it need upgrading, but that I couldn't upgrade it - the update in the package manager fails and the logs tell me there were 404 errors in trying to find the packages because this release is 'EOL'. Ok.

I read this page - https://help.ubuntu.com/community/EOLUpgrades/Gutsy - but this tells me the rather pathetic news that even once I hack the sources to look for Hardy instead, it'll still fail as the standard kernel will hang during the process. It suggests booting into the previous kernel 2.6.22-15 instead, but I don't have that installed. I tried loading earlier kernels that appear in my boot menu but one just hangs entirely after the 'starting up' message and the other fails and drops me at a command prompt. So that route isn't going to work for me.

All I want is to upgrade my system to a more recent and supported version of Kubuntu without losing all my stuff in /home etc. How can I do this?

Re: Wanting to upgrade from Gutsy

I'm afraid that, in order to upgrade 3 full versions, you might only have the option to completely install 10.10. Somebody may know of a back-woods route to help you through the upgrade process but if you've been reading this forum and see that it's chock-full of problems with upgrading even from 10.04 to 10.10, why would you want the potential for an array of problems upgrading 3 full versions?

Is your /home its own separate partition? If so, all of it will be retained as long as you don't format that partition for the new install.
    Home: Kubuntu 12.04-amd64; Intel i7-860 on Intel DH55PJ; Nvidia 9500GT; 6GB RAM
    Network Slave: Xubuntu 11.10-x86; Intel P4-Prescott on MSI; 2GB RAM; Nvidia FX5200
    Portable: Xubuntu 11.10-amd64; Asus EeePC 1015PEM

Comment

Re: Wanting to upgrade from Gutsy

Originally posted by rfakhrai
      Is your /home its own separate partition? If so, all of it will be retained as long as you don't format that partition for the new install.
      But, don't expect the format of the ~/.config and other hidden files to be the same, or even work. Many programs have changed the format of their config files and may overwrite yours if they can't be read.

If it is just data (pictures, documents, mp3's, movies, etc.) on your home account that you want to save now would be a good time to save it to some DVDs, and do a complete install of either Kubuntu 10.4 or 10.10. IF you want LTS then 10.4 is your distro, otherwise 10.10. Both are excellent. If you use the kubuntupa you can update KDE4 to 4.5.1. The 10.10 distro can be updated to 4.5.2.
      "A nation that is afraid to let its people judge the truth and falsehood in an open market is a nation that is afraid of its people.”
      – John F. Kennedy, February 26, 1962.

Comment

Working...
      X