This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

VirtualBox Installation issues - SOLVED

let me preface this by saying I am a Noob and while fairly bold and confident with XP....Linux not so much. I tried to install VirtualBox from the Ubuntu repository. in Kubuntu 7.10. Install went smoothly and I could run Virtuabox but when I went to install XP under VirtulaBox I kept on getting the following error.

VirtualBox kernel driver not installed. The vboxdrv kernel module was either not loaded or /dev/vboxdrv was not created for some reason. Please install the virtualbox-ose-modules package for your kernel and execute '/etc/init.d/vboxdrv start' as root.
    VBox status code: -1908 (VERR_VM_DRIVER_NOT_INSTALLED).

Result Code:
    0x80004005
    Component:
    Console
    Interface:
    IConsole {1dea5c4b-0753-4193-b909-22330f64ec45}

I did some googleing and found that some people found this issue could be resolved when downloading and installing the .deb package directly from Virtualbox.org. I uninstalled the previous version and then I went to Virtualbox.org and after downloading the file to my desktop (not in root as I cannot login as root for some reason) and double-clicked to start install process. Everything seemed to go smoothly then I got an install message said install failed. Here are the details:

(Reading database ... 104520 files and directories currently install ed.)
    Unpacking virtualbox-2.0 (from .../virtualbox-2.0_2.0.4-38406_Ubuntu _gutsy_i386.deb) ...
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Dialog
    debconf: (Dialog frontend will not work on a dumb terminal, an emacs shell buffer, or without a controlling terminal.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Readline
    debconf: unable to initialize frontend: Readline
    debconf: (This frontend requires a controlling tty.)
    debconf: falling back to frontend: Teletype
    dpkg: error processing /home/rob/Desktop/virtualbox-2.0_2.0.4-38406_ Ubuntu_gutsy_i386.deb (--install):
    trying to overwrite `/lib/modules/2.6.22-14-generic/misc/vboxdrv.ko ', which is also in package virtualbox-ose-modules-2.6.22-14-generic
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    /home/rob/Desktop/virtualbox-2.0_2.0.4-38406_Ubuntu_gutsy_i386.deb

Can someone tell me what I am doing wrong here.

Thank you!

Re: VirtualBox Installation issues

Here is what I would do:

Get rid of your deb files again by doing a
    Code:
    sudo dpkg -r virtualbox
    Now install again from the repos, bearing in mind the first very helpful error message:
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install virtualbox-ose virtualbox-ose-source
    Now do
    Code:
    sudo /etc/init.d/vboxdrv start
    and try to start virtualbox (you'll find it in Utilities).
    Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

Re: VirtualBox Installation issues SOLVED

Thanks! Gotta luv the Linux community support!!!!

Comment

Re: VirtualBox Installation issues - SOLVED

Just to let you know and if they haven't changed it, which I don't think they have, the OSE version doesn't support USB. I would download their DEB file from their web site and use that version. If you are going to use it only for personal use, they do allow that with the full version from the web site.

http://www.virtualbox.org/wiki/Editions

Comment

Oops, thanks for the info, MoonRise.

I suppose it depends on how often you use the virtualbox. I find it more convenient to let the repos do the upgrading. If I need usb access I do it via shared folders. Suppose I'm just lazy
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

It is just a matter of preference and what functionality you may need or may not need.

Comment

As you can see on the virtualbox download page for linux, there is an option to add a repository to your sources.list

This way you do get every update they have available.

Comment

Nice one, Tecumseh. However, I do not seem to be able to add the key to my system

ingo@dicker:~$ sudo apt-key add sun_vbox.asc
                gpg: can't open `sun_vbox.asc': No such file or directory
                That is after I've done the update...

Comment

You do need to download the keyfile first, otherwise you can't add it on your system.

A better way would be to use the next example they provide, it will do the downloading and adding in 1 commandline:

Comment

Doh! It even says so on the website

Thanks

Anyway, it appears that the latest ubuntu repo version is the same as that in the vbox repo.

Comment

Working...
                    X