This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Trying to Upgrade From 7.04 to 7.10 Please Help

OMG!!! I have some work to do ...and to think that I wanted to be a Linux user
    Yes, but look at it like this the best swimmers learn by jumping in the water

Now, to answer a few of your questions as best I can:
    Issue 1:
    First off backing up always makes sense. And having a separate / home makes even more sense.

Since you have your data on a separate partition / HD you can also set the up as a /data partition to be mounted at boot during the installation process so Linux can read/write to it.

Second there can only be one /home folder (partition) at any given time because otherwise linux gets confused and tells you as much.
    So renaming for the sake of making a new partition (place to live=/home) moving data and then deleting and renaming again makes sense.

Issue 2/3:
    THE APPLICATIONS ARE not STORED/ INSTALLED IN /HOME, JUST YOUR PERSONAL CONFIGURATIONS THEREOF. sorry for shouting but I wanted to make a point.

Your apps are installed into / (root) and most of the system wide configs are put into /etc as you have rightly noticed.

You can of course save those /ect files but if you are doing a new installation you are probably better off leaving them dto die. X-org has come a long way since 6.something and probably won't "see" you old xorg.config. The same applies to fstab for that matter.
    Example->hda has been changed to sda.

Once you have done a fresh install you can use various tools to backup your application sources. apt-oncd is one example:
    http://aptoncd.sourceforge.net/

As for gparted, that is definitely a good solution.
    Hope this helps a bit further and welcome to the party

HP Pavilion dv6 core i7 (Main)
    4 GB Ram
    Kubuntu 18.10

Comment

Working...
    X