This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

login screen reappears

i have been using this kubuntu (say, kubuntu 1) for over three months. everything was ok. i have another 64-bit kubuntu (say kubuntu 2 and it was installed the most recently i.e. the grub is from this installation) also on the same hard disk and a windows installation xp. this setup has been running fairly for a long time.

today i moved some folders from desktop to usr/local/src while using kubuntu1. Everything seemed to work fine. And then I started windows, made some changes in power options and user settings and then I didn't shutdown windows but put the power off directly because it hanged while i tried to put it to standby.

Now i started booted computer and started kubuntu 1. When I try to login the password is accepted but the login screen reappears with the password text box cleared. It doesn't show any such message like 'login failed'. I did console login and I am able to.
    Then I rebooted started the kubuntu1 in recovery mode, there again console login is allowed. I started kdm login screen came but then the same problem - password accepted but the login window reappears.
    I next started kubuntu2 it is working fine and windows too. i accessed the partition of kubuntu1 from kubuntu2, everything seemed ok.

Then what must have gone wrong. Please figure out and let me know
    I think the history above is complete enough.

Re: login screen reappears

...then I didn't shutdown windows but put the power off directly...
    Maybe your KDE setting files are damaged. Something to try (making new clean KDE settings). > Topic: Kubuntu Desktop Issue

Any help ?
    Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
    1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
    2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

I tried what has been told but the same problem occurs.
      I did console login, I was in my home folder i.e. home/<username>
      and then:
      $ mv .kde kdebackup
      and then i pressed ctrl + alt + F7 and then tried to login but the same problem occurs - it seems as if the desktop is loading but suddenly the login screen reappears. Is there some mistake in what I did?
      Then I also tried to create a new user using
      $ useradd <username1>
      Again may be because I had not added any password, it didn't accept any password.
      so then I deleted the username1 using
      $ userdel <username1>
      $ useradd <username1> -p <password>
      Even this didn't solve the problem, the password was not being accepted.

To complete the history I had given, I had tried but unsuccessfully to install vlc but ./configure exited with errors when I last used kubuntu before this problem occured.

Any help would be greately appreciated.

Comment

So, maybe something else is broken ?

Is there errors in the Xorg.0.log ?
        Code:
        grep "(EE)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        Warnings ?
        Code:
        grep "(WW)" /var/log/Xorg.0.log
        > HOWTO : Repairing xorg.conf
        BEFORE REPAIRING XORG - If it's Not Broken, Don't Fix it !

> LinuxLogFiles
        Before you edit, BACKUP !

Why there are dead links ?
        1. Thread: Please explain how to access old kubuntu forum posts
        2. Thread: Lost Information

Comment

Boot into recovery mode. From the prompt, type:
          Code:
          df -hTxtmpfs
          Look in the Use% column for your / and /home (if you have one) partitions. If either are at 100% then you have a space problem (which can be fixed).
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

ya i used df command, it showed 100% usage in root
            so, i deleted some files from there to make usage only 90%.

but still there are problems. the more i try to solve, the more corrupted it seems to become.
            These are the errors i get after logging in:

There was an error setting up inter-process communication for KDE. The message returned by the system was:
            Could not read network connection list /home/rabindra/.DCOP server_rabindra-deskto__0
            Please check that the "dcopserver" program is running!
            After I click ok, the the next error is:

Configuration file "/home/rabindra/.kde/share/config/konsolerc" not writable
            Configuration file "/home/rabindra/.kde/share/config/kdeglobals" not writable
            Finally, the 'konsole' terminal appears on one corner.
            Xorg.0.log shows one warning message: Could not find /fonts/cyrillic file.

I had created another user to login thinking the existing user may be corrupted but couldn't succeed so deleted this new user.
            I had extended my RAM before this problem occurred though not immediately after adding RAM. I had used it well after adding RAM also. What i just need to know is whether i need to increase my swap partition size which was 1 GB but now my RAM size is 1.5GB total.

Please guide me. I hate the idea of formatting the partition again and reinstall kubuntu.

Comment

Originally posted by rabindrabrj03
              ya i used df command, it showed 100% usage in root
              so, i deleted some files from there to make usage only 90%.
              That's a bit ominous. What files did you delete? May I assume that you don't have a separate /home partition, that your /home directory exists within your root directory?

Comment

I think deleting was harmless, what I deleted was
                mysql-src folder from /usr/local/src
                And ya I don't have a separate /home partition; it's in root only.
                I asked in this chat forum and was suggested to use chown command and some other stuff but I am looking for one unified solution because I may curropt my system even more - initially, it seems it was only /root becoming 100% was the only problem but I came to know only after I had tried so many things otherwise it would have been a simple matter to delete some files and start again.
                This is the link that I was suggested:
                http://www.linuxquestions.org/questi...essage-254177/
                Similar problem but no solution......

I am afraid of trying anything random.

and Please comment on swap size also whether to leave it as it is or increase it and if so, how? RAM was 512 Mb before and 1.5 Gb now.

Comment

A 'safe' method of cleaning up and removing files to increase available space on your system HD is to open a console and type the following commands:
                  Code:
                  sudo apt-get autoclean
                  sudo apt-get autoremove
                  sudo apt-get clean
                  These command remove downloaded package files. This will (most likely) result in a huge reduction in the amount of used space on your HD. To see just how much space you reclaimed, in the console type:
                  Code:
                  df -hTxtmpfs

Comment

Working...
                  X