This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

printerserver

I don't know why it should be so difficult to set up a printerserver but it doesn't work for me on the wireless connection with my Linux laptop. Windows works allright.
    I am able to see the printer from the laptop using samba way to access <workgroup>/<computer>/<printer>, so configuration is fairly easy. However it doesn't print anything and I don't know how to debug.
    There are also other methods like setting up access via the cups system on the printerserver computer. However this way I cannot even contact the printerserver computer.
    Why should this be such a hassle?

Re: printerserver

It's a hassle because the IT industry has come up with umpteen different ways to share a printer on a network, and Linux likes to accommodate as many of them as possible. So to get it working we need to know a bit about what sort of printserver it is.

What is your "printserver"? A computer? Running what OS? Configured how? Or is it a stand-alone device?

For help debugging, cups keeps a nice set of log files in /var/log/cups. Posting the last few lines of the error log might be helpful too.
    Dell Optiplex 580<br />Kubuntu 10.10 + backports

Comment

Re: printerserver

The printerserver computer runs Kubuntu Gutsy and the laptop runs Kubuntu Hardy. I have a suspicion that the problem lies within the router which doesn't open up the appropriate port for the laptop to access the printerserver. The router runs now dd-wrt which should simplify things a bit. I think it works with the lan but not the wlan. I will test that and return here to the forum then.

Comment

Working...
      X