This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Applications on Live CD not available once installed

Hi, I'm super new to Linux, and I've been trying out Kubuntu 7.10. I got it installed on my computer, but I can't figure out why there are so many more applications listed under Add and Remove Programs on the Live CD than there are once I install Kubuntu. When I run from the Live CD it shows over 5,000 available, and only 954 once I install. Can anybody help me figure this out?

Thanks,
    Reidun

Re: Applications on Live CD not available once installed

There should be more than 20.000 packages available. The Add/Remove programs gives you a limited selection. To see all available programs, open Adept Manager.

Edit: Any reasons for choosing Kubuntu 7.10 over 8.4?
    The Nomad's Land - some Linux humor too

Comment

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thanks for the tips. My laptop, which is what I installed Kubuntu on, is currently offline because my ethernet port broke, and I don't have a wireless set up yet. Am I correct that when you choose programs to install, it finds them from online and not from the CD? Could that be why there aren't very many showing up in the choices?

I don't have a reason for choosing 7.1 over 8.4. That just happened to be the CD I got. Should I upgrade to 8.4?

Comment

Originally posted by reidun
          Am I correct that when you choose programs to install, it finds them from online and not from the CD? Could that be why there aren't very many showing up in the choices?
          Yes.

Originally posted by reidun
          Should I upgrade to 8.4?
          "Should I" isn't an objective question. You stated that you are 'super new to Linux' so I would suggest that you become more familiar and comfortable with your 7.10 (Gutsy Gibbon) before you think about upgrading. 7.10 is very stable. 8.04 (running KDE 3.5.x) is also very stable.
          Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
          "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
          X