This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dolphin default email client

i would like to change the default email client that Dolphin uses from kmail to thunderbird. So far I have been unable to find any configuration file that will allow me to do this.

I have uninstalled kmail and now dolphin complains that it cannot find kmail.

Can anybody please direct me to a file that I can change to achieve this?

Re: Dolphin default email client

As dolphin is KDE software, it should respect KDE's default applications settings.
    Goto 'System Settings>Default Applications>Email Client' to change the default e-mail application

Comment

Originally posted by kubicle
      As dolphin is KDE software, it should respect KDE's default applications settings.
      Goto 'System Settings>Default Applications>Email Client' to change the default e-mail application
      I can vouch for that. That is what I did at first install and have not had any issues.

Comment

On mine. KDE 3.5.9 HH. that doesn't work. I know that the problem is in this file:

/usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/mail_as_attachment.desktop

but I can't get thunderbird to open in a compose window with the currently selected file as an attachment. I know there must be a thunderbird command line argument that does this, but I can't get it to work. Have to do more research on thunderbird command line arguments. If I figure it out, I will post the solution.

If anyone has this menu item in dolphin working with thunderbird, would you please copy and post the contents of the above file from your machine. Its a very small file.

Comment

Well, I'll have to take that back. It doesn't do that for me, it does go to KMail. However, I was able to edit that file and add "thunderbird -compose %u". It now at least opens Thunderbird to start a new e-mail, just doesn't add the attachment. Working on that by going through their online help. So far nothing. I'll find it though.

Comment

No luck so far. Maybe this?

http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=46831

Comment

BTW, the Konqueror ServiceMenu has the same problem. I've been foolig arond with the Exec line in the menu for about an hour, and I still have not hit on it, but I will. Moonrise and I are in a race here.

Comment

Here is what I have so far. It will open to start a new e-mail, but I'm still running into problems using this format :
                thunderbird --compose "attachment=%U"
                . Got that out in Google Land.

My /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/mail_as_attachment.desktop:

Code:
                [Desktop Entry]
                Encoding=UTF-8
                ServiceTypes=all/allfiles
                Actions=mail_as_attachment

[Desktop Action mail_as_attachment]
                Name=Mail as Attachment...
                Name[de]=Verschicken als Anhang...
                Icon=mail_send
                Exec=thunderbird --compose
                X-Ubuntu-Gettext-Domain=desktop_dolphin

Comment

I am at exactly the same place. I can get it to open the compose window, but if I add anything to the Exec line after compose, it fails.

Comment

Ah, sorry, didn't realize you were talking about the mail service menu :P

You can take a look at this, you can grab the menu or just copy the 'Exec' line.

http://www.kde-look.org/content/show...?content=19328

Comment

That works!

Just replace the Exec line in the file with:

Exec=thunderbird -compose `echo attachment=\'file://%F\' | sed 's/ \//,file:\/\/\//g'`

I think it will also allow you to attach multiple files but I haven't tried that yet.

Comment

To make it work in Konqueror, simply copy the file to the Konqueror ServiceMenu folder in /usr/share/apps/konqueror. After that when you click on "Actions" the "Email as Attachment" option will be there.

Comment

Cool and Yeah!!!

Comment

Thank you everybody. That all works just great now.

At first I thought that the mod had failed; then I closed and reopened Thunderbird and it all worked great.

Bob Willson

Comment

Thanks, appears to be working for me now too

I opened the file:
                              /usr/share/apps/d3lphin/servicemenus/mail_as_attachment.desktop

Replaced the line:
                              Exec=kmail --attach %U

with the line:
                              Exec=thunderbird -compose "`echo attachment=\'file://%F\' | sed 's/ \//,file:\/\/\//g'`"

Comment

Working...
                              X