This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sudo not functioning, networking not functioning

I've just installed K7.10 onto a Dell 4300S System Specs.

After the install, I wanted to download Firefox and a few other packages (or even upgrade to the next distro) however I can't get sudo to work.

In Konsole, I'll type:

sudo systemsettings

or just

sudo

And it just puts me onto a new line.

I have a D-Link wireless card in the system as well, and it is detecting networks. I can't however log onto my network. I've typed in the WEP Shared key, it stops at 28%. I've tried other networks without encryption, those don't seem to work either.

To change my network settings, I'd have to get into administrator mode, but when I click it a dialog never comes up, and there's a thick red border around where the controls should be.

I'm fairly new to Kubuntu, thanks for any help.

Re: Sudo not functioning, networking not functioning

After restarting it around 10 times, sudo worked (I did a LS first). The wireless still isn't functioning though.

Any suggestions?

Comment

Re: Sudo not functioning, networking not functioning

For Gutsy Installations:

Open Adept Manager (K Menu | System | Adept Manger) and click on Adept | Manage Repositories. On the first tab, check all items (you don't need the last item checked unless you intend to download source files for compiling). On the Third-Party Software tab uncheck/delete the cdrom repository entry. Close the window. If Adept doesn't automatically fetch updates, click on Fetch Updates. You will now have access to the thousands of available packages. If you still have problems, open a console and type:
      Code:
      sudo dpkg --configure -a
      Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
      "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Working...
      X