This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 and LiquidWeather

I've finally figured how to get LiquidWeather to work on KDE 4 using the native Add Widgets. Previously when adding, it kept saying PyQt is not installed and exiting, sometimes crashing Plasma. However, PyQt is installed. After some investigation, finally found a solution.

So I thought I'd share it here.

First, make sure you have the package python-qt4 installed.

Using the Add Widgets, select Install from File. Choose SuperKaramba. Click Next and find the lwp-14.8.skz. and Click Finish.

The contents of the skz will be extracted to ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/sk_lwp-14.8

You need to modify the file liquid_weather.py. In the method checkDependencies(widget), it tries importing qt libs, which for whatever reason fails. So comment out the following (line 3663-3668):

Code:
      try:
        from qt import *
        hasqt = 1
      except:
        karamba.execute('kdialog --title "%s" --error "%s" &' %(_('Critical Error'),_('You do not have PyQT installed. This is a critical dependency for Liquid Weather ++. Please install it and try again.')))
        sys.exit()
    Select it in the widget list and add to desktop. All seems to be working fine now.

Re: KDE4 and LiquidWeather

Thank you very much. This is something I have been trying to do for a while.

I do have a few questions though:
    Using the Add Widgets, select Install from File. Choose SuperKaramba. Click Next and find the lwp-14.8.skz. and Click Finish.
    I don't have that option in my add widgets. Unless you are talking about the superkaramba design chooser.

~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/
    This does not exist

So comment out the following (line 3663-3668):
    I don't have a line: 3662-3668 or acheckDependencies(widget) method

Comment

It is worth adding that an additional dependency (I did not have this installed and was needed) is the package

libkrosspython0

Otherwise, a kross no present error message appears.

I only got it running from the superkaramba applets list, but not from the Add Widgets from Plasma

Comment

Originally posted by Fredh
        I don't have that option in my add widgets. Unless you are talking about the superkaramba design chooser.
        Right-click, Add Widgets, Install New Widgets, Install from File
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

I finally have lwp15.0 working in kubuntu kde4 hardy with help from this post.
          However, I could not find liquid_weather.py under ~/.kde4/share/apps/plasma/plasmoids/sk_lwp-15.0.

What I did:
          0) download lwp-15.0.skz
          1) rename lwp-15.0.skz to lwp-15.0.zip
          2) unzip it to lwp-15.0
          3) cd into lwp-15.0
          4) open liquid_weather.py with text editor
          6) remove lines 3663-3668 as suggested in this post.
          7)find superkaramba in the "application launcher" (kicker) and start superkaramba.
          8)click "open" under "open new theme".
          9)navigate to the folder lwp-15.0 and select liquid_weather.theme.
          10) configure to you're city and preference by right clicking on widget window.
          11)install kross if it complains about it not being installed. mine was all ready installed

Comment

I just followed the instructions on this thread and got liquid weather working on plasma. I have one problem though. LWP doesn't update. When I boot, it updates fine but whenever it tries to update after that, it constantly says it is "Fetching data". Does anyone else have this problem?

Comment

Yes, I have this same problem on kubuntu intrepid.
              I must close widget and add it to make it works

Comment

The instructions here did not work for me however I was able to get LiquidWeather++ 15.0 installed on Kubuntu 8.04 with KDE4 using some of the information provided.

Packages I was missing included superkaramba-kde4, libkrosspython0 (installed as a dependency of kdebindings-kde4) and python-qt4.

I downloaded lwp-15.0.skz, renamed it to lwp-15.0.zip and unzipped it to a new directory lwp-15.1. Changed into the lwp-15.1 directory and edited liquid_weather.py to remove lines 3663-3668 then ran `zip -r ~/lwp-15.1.skz *` (without backquotes), to generate a new SuperKaramba package.

I was then able to add lwp-15.1.skz as a regular SuperKaramba package file.

Comment

Hi!
                  My LiquidWeather++ 15.0 doesn't update too.
                  Any ideas how to solve this problem...

Comment

Working...
                  X