This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

compiz problems with multiple desktops.

Athalon 64 3000+; 1.5 GB ram; Nvidia GF5200; KUBUNTU7.10; KDE 3.5.8; Compiz 0.6.1
    HI
    I installed all I though could be needed for compiz through synaptic (sorry, big mistake) without RTFM any howto (yet, yet another sin).
    I also added XGL (it was saying it is missing).
    All works fine but one thing: no multiple desktop. I have 8(!!) desktops on pager, from 1 to 4 and then four times 1. It doesn't matter which desktop I press, I stay in DT1.
    I tried disabling whatever multiple desktop plugins I sow of compiz, but it didn't help.
    Also I have no cube or other way to move desktop.

When I try compiz --replace I get this:
    Code:
    Checking for Xgl: present.
    Checking for nVidia: not present.
    Checking for Xgl: present.
    Enabling Xgl with nVidia drivers...
    Starting emerald
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format
    /usr/bin/compiz.real (cube) - Warn: Failed to load slide: freedesktop
    I try now sudo nvidia-settings but it says I'm not using nvidia drivers. nvidia-xconfig doesn't help and in my xorg I seem to have the right drivers.

Any ideas how to solve it?

(other then uninstalling all and reinstalling following how to )

Re: compiz problems with multiple desktops.

If you've got an Nvidia graphics chip, which appears to be the case, then you don't want XGL -- so remove that. After you have removed XGL, restart your X server with Ctrl-Alt-Backspace, and confirm that glx works by running glxgears. If that is good to go, then you need to set your number of KDE desktops to 1.

Once that is right, open your Advanced Desktop Settings or Compiz Config Settings Manager, whatever, and in the General tab set the number of horizontal desktops to 4, and click the "Desktop Cube" and "Rotate Cube" icons. Then do Alt-F2 "compiz --replace" and you should have it.

Comment

Thanks for the help.I have know multiple desktop. though I've given up special effects, neither DT plane not cube are working.. I ckcick on the buttons but nothing happens, and I still get :
      "usr/bin/compiz.real (video) - Warn: No 8 bit GLX pixmap format, disabling YV12 image format"

But at least I can use Emerald.
      THANKS!

Comment

OK, I give up compiz totally. It keeps turning off, cubes don't work and also desktop pagers show nothing (though it works).
        Maybe I need a newer graphic card to use it, or KDE4...some day I'll retry it.

Comment

Thanks for the info, dibl. I am preparing a presentation next week for a mate (me being the tech geek) and hope to get more people into Linux by way of flashing this ridiculous stuff around on the massive screen beforehand. I was missing the cube and now I've got it - an a five year old TP41! Cool 8)
          Once your problem is solved please mark the topic of the first post as SOLVED so others know and can benefit from your experience! / FAQ

Comment

does gutsy have kicker-taskbar-compiz & kicker-compiz packages? If not then compile it yourself:
            http://www.kde-apps.org/content/show.php?content=46021

Comment

Working...
            X