Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

trying to install the 3D cube Desktop - Compiz, need help - I do appreciate 10x

Hi everybody

I have a ATI X1400 video card on a Insiprion 9400, I'm really a newby in Linux, but I would really like to have it configured properly. I have installed the Kubuntu 7.10 successfully and it's working ok the wireless and sound. What I'd really love to have is the 3D cube desktop effects with compiz. I made it till here by the instructions from another page from the same forum. When I run the 'compiz --replace' command in the terminal I get the following error: 'Checking for Xgl: not present.
    No whitelisted driver found'. I would really appreciate it if you could guide me to make this work.
    Thank you in advanced. God bless.
    P.S. When I type the fglrxinfo command in the terminal, I get:
    display: :0.0 screen: 0
    OpenGL vendor string: ATI Technologies Inc.
    OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon X1400
    OpenGL version string: 2.0.6473 (8.37.6)

Thank you again in advanced.

Re: trying to install the 3D cube Desktop - Compiz, need help - I do appreciate 10x

Open a Konsole window and enter
    Code:
    glxgears
    What do you see?

Comment

Re: trying to install the 3D cube Desktop - Compiz, need help - I do appreciate 10x

Hi, thank you very much for your quick response. Praise God, I made it. I have the cube working now. I'm excited. I made it have 4 faces. Question I have now is that the shutdown, restart and all the other options have dissappeared from my log out menu. What I have - I see only the log out button when I click that. How to solve that?
      Thank you in advanced.

God bless,

Comment

What you are seeing is 'normal.' When you click the Log Out button you are presented with another set of buttons: Log Out, Hibernate, Restart, Turn Off

You then click on Log Out and you are presented with the KDM Logon screen (where you type in your password). You click on the sheet of paper and select Shutdown and are then presented with the options to Restart or Turn Off

Turn Off does not actually shut down (power off) my laptop. It shuts down the running session OS (System Halted) at which point it is safe to power off the PC.
        Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
        "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

Thank you in deed, Snowhog for the quick answer. Unfortunately, when I click log out, it logs me out and gets me to the log in screen as in the beginning when the kubuntu boots. There I can see my username, and if I click on small white square I can see the the option with shutdown and restart. The thing is: could I have the buttons from my account?
          I've seen this question to someone else, but they didn't solve the issue - or at least a solution wasn't posted yet.

Thank you.
          Secondly, How could I have the firefox running? The packet is install but how could I lunch it or create a shortcut? I'm really newby in this. I'd better get the beginning help book and try to check that as well.
          Anyway, thanks for time spent to answer probably my naive question about kubuntu.
          It's highly appreciated.

Comment

Thank you. I've corrected my post below. I just don't pay enough attention (the process is more second nature to me) to the screens when I'm logging off or restarting.

Adding the buttons to the panel is doable. I've not done it, so don't have the expertise to advise you, but others here have, and do.
            Using Kubuntu Linux since March 23, 2007
            "It is a capital mistake to theorize before one has data." - Sherlock Holmes

Comment

As far as FireFox goes it's not installed by default with Kubuntu so go to your adept_manager K > System Settings > Adept Manager and do a search for firefox and install it that way or just go to K > run (Alt + F2 is the shortcut for run) and type in Konsole ( I like doing things in the command line) and do a sudo apt-get install firefox. For me it did not automatically appear under the internet menu it actually showed up in there after I rebooted but here is the info on the shortcut for it and how to create it.
              Right click on the K and go to Menu Editor. Right click on the Internet section and select the new item and fill out the form
              Name : FireFox
              Description Web Browser
              Comment: What ever you feel like putting in there
              Command firefox %u

Thats it. Also if you need to get to it right away you can always go to run and type in firefox and it'll load for you. I'm a n00b as well but hang in there and we'll get this figured out. I've been running with mine now for just over a week. Read through these forums as well as http://forums.ubuntu.com and you will learn a lot. I find that the more I can learn how to do through command line the easier the system is to use and manipulate to my liking. Try using the command line more with some things such as installing updates
              sudo apt-get update
              sudo apt-get upgrade

And when Hardy is release
              sudo apt-get dist-upgrade
              There are so many things that you can do through the command line that you can't do in the GUI but just be careful what you do in the command line because somethings are not reversable also cp is your friend anytime you need to edit a system file use cp to make a backup of it i.e. cp /etc/X11/xorg.conf /etc/X11/xorg.bak. Hope you have a great night and let us know if there is anything else that we can do for you.
              Kubuntu II on both Laptop and Desktop and some servers here at the office

Comment

Hi,
                I manished installing the Firefox as well. One question - I installed the Adobe Flash player from the Kubuntu DVD, but there were other packets that contained Flash - how do you know which one to install from those, so that you won't install 2 or more applications that would do the same thing - I really don't want to crash my kubuntu, as I made it working well now. I do like it. Now I'm trying to see how to solve my Western Digital external Harddrive, which is connecting on USB. When I click open or browse media I get this error: hal-storage-removable-mount-all-options refused uid 1000 and also my Microsoft VX-3000 Webcam. The led indicating working is always on since the kubuntu begins to load its files, before even logging in. I will post this in the Hardware section as well.
                Any suggestion for solving this as well? Thank you.

Comment

Good. OK you have a couple of repos with no key -- that's why your upgrade to KDE4 didn't work. But, that's not a major problem.

OK, I have to leave for some hours, so I will point you to the best instruction I have for installing the Nvidia driver, and invite you to follow it carefully, step by step, and this time through it might work for you.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...4892#msg164892

Download the 185.18.36 driver from here: http://www.nvnews.net/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=122606

You want the 32-bit file. Good luck with it -- I'll check back when I can.

Comment

Working...
                  X