X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Remote access with kubuntu

Hi
    there is a tool to connect to my linux machine like 'remote access' of winXP?
    I have a vpn between home and work, in XP i use remote access using 192.168.x.x to connect the machines and i need to do same thing with linux.

Thanks
    RR

Re: Remote access with kubuntu

I use krdc to connect from my kubuntu box to my Windows XP server, in the past I have also used Gnome-Terminal.

I have not tried it the other way around, XP to Kubuntu.

Desktop sharing or open ssh comes to mind but unfortunately I'm not clear on either of them.

Comment

Hello,

Tightvnc is freeware, fast, good and has windows and linux binaries. I use it for years now.

www.tightvnc.com
      Greetings from Groningen Netherlands

Comment

Another way to do this is to connect to the machine with a remote X. Works well on a fast line. (that's ping, not bandwidth).

I use XMing: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming. I also us PuTTy, and ssh on my linux computer configured so that I can connect to the internet. These are the steps I go through on the windows box.

1. Start Xming
        2. start putty
        3.(in puTTY terminal) ssh -X linuxbox_url_or_ip
        4. (in puTTy terminal) kicker &

Then KDE will fire up on my windows desktop, and from there it is smooth sailing until the internet connection should happen to crash.

Comment

Originally posted by heinkel_111
          Another way to do this is to connect to the machine with a remote X. Works well on a fast line. (that's ping, not bandwidth).

I use XMing: http://sourceforge.net/projects/xming. I also us PuTTy, and ssh on my linux computer configured so that I can connect to the internet. These are the steps I go through on the windows box.

1. Start Xming
          2. start putty
          3.(in puTTY terminal) ssh -X linuxbox_url_or_ip
          4. (in puTTy terminal) kicker &

Then KDE will fire up on my windows desktop, and from there it is smooth sailing until the internet connection should happen to crash.
          While this appears simple enough, I have to ask if you use a router, firewall, or any other H/W S/W that may filter network communications.

I use a Netgear RT311 router which applies filters to internet traffic and it blocks two-way communication.

So I'm curious if you had to make any changes to your H/W(firewall) or S/W(firewall) to make these remote connections?

I'm just confused as to how xming, putty, and ssh work with respect to which ports they use, and if these ports need to be explicitly open or if they can override a network's security filters without any other changes.

Comment

Regardless of which program you are using, you need to open ports for it to be able to communicate with the outside world. For ssh communication between a machine in your local network and an external machine you need your ssh port open. Off the top of my head I cannot remember default port because I fumbled with the defaults..

The X communication is piped through the ssh connection (ssh -X) so there is no need to open more ports.

Comment

Re: Remote access with kubuntu - alternative method

Here's a follow-up for newbies such as myself.

I felt that the solution in this thread was a bit too complicated for my needs so after googling and trial and error, here's another alternative.

Simply use KRDC - Remote Desktop Connection.

Click on Kstart | Internet | Krdc - Remote Desktop Connection
              Enter your URL in the Remote Desktop entry box except you must use the prefix 'rdp' rather than 'http' (ex: type rdp://yoururl.com instead of http://). Once you make this substitution, KRDC works.

Click on the connection button and follow the prompts for user ID and password to your remote desktop.

This program worked for me and it is already pre-loaded as a standard application in kubuntu 8.04. So there's no additional installation required.

For those of you interested, I also have the following hardware:
              1. Netgear Router - connected to cable modem and I have the firewall enabled. So traffic is filtered via my router ( I don't use the software equivalent provided by linux/kubuntu - iptables).
              2. My router is connected to my computer via a Hub/Switch (this enables multiple computers to share one internet connection).
              3. Hub/Switch is connected to several computers, of which one is connected to kubuntu machine.

INET/Cable Co. -> Cable Modem -> Router -> 8 port 100Mbps Switch -> kubuntu

I mentioned the hardware b/c I didn't need to change any settings in either the router or with its firewall. I didn't need to open and close any ports. No changes were needed anywhere in any hardware nor was any other software involved. I didn't need to do anything but use the KRDC application "as is".

This was very simple and I was able to log onto a Windows 2003 server without any problems. Nothing else was needed.

Comment

Working...
              X