X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

KDE4 in Gutsy - fonts unusably small!

Hi!

I installed KDE4 on my Ubuntu 7.10. It seems to work fine - except all fonts inside windows are so small that I can't even tell what language they're in.

Fonts in titlebars and on buttons and in the K-menu are quite OK, but since I can't even read what is going on inside windows, it's nearly impossible for me to fix the font-size issue.

Any ideas?

Re: KDE4 in Gutsy - fonts unusably small!

What i do myself is:
    Ctrl and + to enlarge text
    Ctrl and - to come back to smaller text

Works also for win!

Good luck!

Comment

Thank you for the answer - but that's not it

Have a look on this screenshot to see what I mean:

[img width=400 height=285]http://trompet.rackhosting.com/kde.png[/img]

( Click here to see an unresized version )

This is Dolphin from KDE4 - it's taken under GNOME

I still have two problems:

1. the "system" fonts really are too small, and I can't find where to enlarge them

2. I can't find where I change the resolution of the screen - under KDE it's 800x640 (same as my login screen)

Any help would be very appreciated

Comment

You can change the fonts size from the KDE System Settings window. I am right now in KDE3 and I can't remember where it is in the K menu, but it shoudn't be hard to find.

Comment

Originally posted by eismann
          You can change the fonts size from the KDE System Settings window. I am right now in KDE3 and I can't remember where it is in the K menu, but it shoudn't be hard to find.
          I can find "KDE System Settings", since the fonts in the K-Menu are readable, but once I open system settings, I can't read any of the options, because the fonts are unreadably small! That's the problem in a nutshell! Of course I can go by the icons to a certain extent, but now I have a different problem, in KDE4 once I open a window - nothing inside it is clickable! Clicking with the mouse results in dragging the window (no - my ALT key is NOT stuck)

Comment

Well I found it nevertheless

Look at this screenie: [img width=400 height=320]http://trompet.rackhosting.com/desktop.png[/img]
            Click here to see unresized version

You can see that font-sizes are fubar somehow. Fonts for buttons and labels are set to size 28, and so are the font for the taskbar - the taskbar has what really looks like font-size 28, but no way buttons and labels are size 28.

there is another problem, even though I change screen-resolution to 1280x1024 - that setting is lost when I log-out, and when I log back in it's reset to 800x640 (same as my login screen)

What would it take to completely de-install kde and kde4, and then reinstall them?

Comment

I have the same problems you have. I tried a new install of Kubuntu Hardy but the fonts were too small to read. So small I couldn't even tell what language. Looked more like arabic than english.

I installed Ubuntu Hardy instead and in Gnome the fonts were great, no changes necessary.

Then I installed KDE4 on top of my Ubuntu and when i log into KDE the fonts are tiny.

I googled the problem and found that you can "Force DPI" to 96 and that helped on some fonts. I changed the default font size to 12 or 16 for every font available in the K Settings. Most fonts are OK now but still the fonts on desktop icons are tiny and unreadbale. Also the K-menu fonts are tiny and barely readable.

I have the Nvidia driver installed correctly. I have my resolution set to my monitor's native resolution, 1366X768, on a 37" LCD TV using RGB (not DVI), although i also tried DVI and got the same problem.

Again, Windows, Ubuntu and Gnome look great. KDE4 and Kubuntu Hardy can't get the fonts to display a readable size.

Comment

Originally posted by acebone
                I installed KDE4 on my Ubuntu 7.10. It seems to work fine - except all fonts inside windows are so small that I can't even tell what language they're in.
                Same problem here. I had a good install of Gutsy, and started the upgrade process last night. Finished this morning, then added KDE4 because I was dying to try it.

First off, after the upgrade reboot, GDM was "zoomed in" to a ridiculous size and I was unable to scroll around. When I added KDE4, I chose the KDE4 display manager instead. After a reboot, the KDE4 display manager started, but I noticed that it looked like a small login box on a massive desktop, but "zoomed in" so that the login box looked a reasonable size.

After getting into KDE4, I realized that the fonts looked like dotted lines - totally unreadable. I've not been able to find a solution by poking around.

Also, the time in the taskbar was HUGE.

Another poster mentioned they were using an nVidia card. Same here, using "restricted drivers."

What gives? Is KDE4 still in beta? What am I missing here?

--SC

Comment

Working...
                X