This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Missing Disk & Filesystems inside System Settings - KDE 4 Gutsy

I've recently upgraded to KDE 4. While trying to setup Samba because my config got hosed, I realized I no longer have a 'Disk & Filesystems' option (module) in System Settings. Searches have given me the idea that I should and I don't see any other place to configure that. I've tried reinstalling kde-guidance and restricted-manager (a few of the ideas I came across) to no avail (either there weren't KDE4 specific packages and/or reinstalling the package didn't fix it).

Possibly related, my Administrator Mode buttons are missing from all my options inside System Settings. Again, searches have led me to believe they should be there, but nope...

'mountconfig' executes just fine, so I'm pretty sure it's not a python issue. I'm confident there's just a package I didn't install... but I can't find it. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Re: Missing Disk & Filesystems inside System Settings - KDE 4 Gutsy

Don't know the answer. I've experienced the same issue but have yet to find a resolution for it. this person here has had similar issues.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...0457#msg120457

Comment

Re: Missing Disk & Filesystems inside System Settings - KDE 4 Gutsy

i don't think that module has been implemented yet.
      <br />

Comment

Re: Missing Disk &amp; Filesystems inside System Settings - KDE 4 Gutsy

See this thread. Rog131 has some more info on that.

http://kubuntuforums.net/forums/inde...;topicseen#new

Comment

Re: Missing Disk &amp; Filesystems inside System Settings - KDE 4 Gutsy

Apparently I've found yet another cause for the Disk and Filesystems module going AWOL.
          I'm running KDE 3.5.x, though, but wanted to post my workaround in this thread anyway in case it helps directly or steers someone to a working answer.

I have VMWare Server installed and so I added the following line to /etc/fstab so that I can see connected USB drives in my XP guest:

usbfs /proc/bus/usb usbfs auto o o

When that line is active, no joy with Disk and Filesystems.
          When I comment out that line, mucho joy with Disk and Filesystems.
          I have an external USB drive (3.5" drive in a tray in an enclosure) while I do this, so maybe that's the cause but whatever, now I have a work-around:

When I need to do any Disk and Filesystem administration, comment out the usbfs line in /etc/fstab. When I'm done administering, uncomment the line and I'm in business in the VM.

Hope this helps someone else. I tried everything else including dpkg-reconfigure kde-guidance and apt-get install --reinstall kde-guidance.

Comment

Working...
          X