This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ksmserver cannot start

At startup the system forced a file system check.
    When the system restarted I could not get past the user login screen.
    Entering user password just got the screen to flash go black and represent the same login screen. After 3 tries a blank area appeared when clicked message "cannot start ksmserver"

I rebooted into recovery mode and "startx" and got the system running with the GUI as root.

My user info in the system is broden 1000.

I have been using Gusty for about 2 months without problems. I had Fiesty give me problems after a file system check but a simple reboot fixed that.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

D. Brown

Re: ksmserver cannot start

I will not be any help to you, but i have exactly the same problem on two of my kubuntu desktops.
    It started after I did the last update of software, is there some way to roll back to my previous setup or uninstall the last set of updates (7) on Feb 27.

Comment

I suspect that it is related to permissions for the default user. I am going through my collection of books trying to come up with a fix. So far no luck.

Thanks for the reply it is good to know I am not alone.

Dennis

Comment

I found this on another forum and it fixed mine..
        Here it is!!!

Do both of the coomands!!

I experienced the looping login issue and I thought that it was fixed by the following
        Code:
        sudo apt-get remove language-pack-kde-en language-pack-kde-en-base

Further inspection, however, showed that I had begun having bizarre problems with XMMS and Kopete so I installed the language pack that just happened to be dated on my birthday!
        Code:
        sudo apt-get install language-pack-kde-en=1:7.10+20071012 language-pack-kde-en-base=1:7.10+20071012

I'm now back to having a very stable Kubuntu system and couldn't be happier.

Comment

Thanks.

I tried both changes and they worked.

I can not get a internet connection, but that is probably another issue.

Thanks again

Comment

Working...
          X