This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Controlling Windows..Posibble?

Is it it possible to control say my dads XP desktop on the network from my Kubuntu install?
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: Controlling Windows..Posibble?

Yes, very much so

On your Dads windows XP box, right click 'My Computer', left click 'properties', then left click the 'remote' tab here put a check in the second option down. You may have to ensure that there is a password on the account.

In kubuntu go to K-menu => Internet => Krdc

In the text box, type:

Code:
    rdp:/<Computer Name>
    replace <Computer Name> with the hostname of the XP machine, you can find this under 'Computer Name' in the 'My Computer' properties tab.

Once typed in click connect, if it is the first time you have connected it will prompt you to ener in some connection details I.e. Resolution, Colour depth. I personally untick both check boxes as they annoy the crud out of me. KDE wallet sucks.

Anyway, I hope this helps

I have a Windows XP box acting as a file server and internet gateway and frequently have to log in remotely in order to get it to download things for me.

Comment

Its not detecting anything. And ive set remote desktop on 3 computers and disabled their firewalls (and added passwords), still nothing. I even entered it manually but still nothing, "Connection to Host Failed".
      Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--&gt; # 15709

Comment

Can you ping the IP address of the computer you wish to connect to?

Comment

Ill give it a try now.
          Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--&gt; # 15709

Comment

Working...
          X