This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GUI vanished

I was in KDE, with a shell. I was trying to find fancy ways of shutting down.
    I tried sudo shutdown 0 but didn't turn off the pc.
    So I used:
    sudo poweroff

Then next time I booted it wouldn't go into KDE. it says cannot load image.
    However it lets me log in.
    So I log in and all I have is a command prompt. But all was working before this sudo poweroff.

This has been happening frequently with my pc until I eventually got my 8800GT drivers done right.

Even when I was having to install, even now. I cannot use my LiveCD and boot. I have to use safe graphics mode,
    even then it doesn't always work.
    However my motherboard is an Asus P5N-T Deluxe Nvidia 780i. which is a very recent board which linux may not support fully. Suse linux has not given me any trouble at all. But I love Kubuntu and I wanna get back to it.

Is there a way that from my standard command prompt without a gui, is there a way to start it?
    I tried going to init 1, init 3 and init 5. no change

Re: GUI vanished

Don't reply to this. I solved the problem.
    It was similar to the post in the Hardware section but I was given a different error.

It said that my desktop image could not be loaded.
    but when I typed
    startx
    I got the same error as that other guy with the 8800GT.
    So I reinstalled the drivers and followed his last snippet of advice in changing the file.

Comment

Re: GUI vanished

About the unable to boot with LiveCD part with a recent Nvidia card. Select the normal boot option but before you press enter press F6, then at the bottom of the screen you will see a boot line, delete the 'quiet splash' part then press enter. This will take away the splash screen and will let you boot. Without this fix I could not boot in to KDE. The same fix needed to be applied to my menu.lst grub file for after installation with nvidia drivers, or I would have the same problem.

Comment

Working...
      X