This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What happened to Kernel upgrades?

Does kubuntu do kernel upgrades or are we stuck with the same kernel for 6 months.Im not saying its a bad thing but im sure theres people out there hoping to get new drivers or whatever and cant because they cant compile kernels. The last time i saw a kernel upgrade was in Edgy and that was the last. So im just wondering, can we depend on the repo's or do we have to compile them ourselves now?
    Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Re: What happened to Kernel upgrades?

Generally there are minor kernel upgrades during the lifetime of a release and major upgrades between releases.

Do you have the kernel image metapackage installed? That makes sure you will get new kernels as upgrades (as the meta package always depends on the latest kernel released for *ubuntu.

Image meta packages are called 'linux-image-generic', 'linux-image-386' etc. (depending on which kernel version you're using)

If you need/want the restricted modules as well, the correct meta packages are 'linux-generic', 'linux-386' etc.

Comment

I just checked and i have all these installed.
      Kubuntu Gutsy Gibbon - Registered Linux User--> # 15709

Comment

Then you probably have the latest kernel version for gutsy installed, which is 2.6.22.14.21 (Hardy currently has 2.6.24.5.6).

You're likely to see 2.6.22.* upgrades on gutsy, but not 2.6.24.*

Comment

I am new to Kubuntu and have been using sidux for a few years. Can someone direct me to a post or briefly explain how Kubuntu installs new kernels? Sidux uses a special script in konsole. Is it done automatically during updates or is it done manually? Sorry if this is a redundent question. Thankyou for your patience.

Comment

Working...
          X