This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

no sounds from pidgin[SOLVED]

I am not able to get any sounds to work in pidgin. sound seems to work in other programs, but not pidgin. could anyone tell me why that is?

Re: no sounds from pidgin

In Pidgin's preferences, see what it's using for a sound engine.

Comment

its on Automatic, but i've tried all of them except command

Comment

found this in pidgin's description in Synaptic:

Code:
        Some extra packages are recommended to use the core functionality present
        in most pidgin installations:
         * gstreamer0.10-plugins-base, gstreamer0.10-plugins-good
          - Sound support.
        i did that (it also installs any dependencies required) and now sound works perfectly.

Comment

IMO, there should be a bug report that should make pidgin depend on those packages. OR.... OR... they should just change the default sound method to COMMAND and then enter "aplay %s".

Just my opinion of course. But I think Pidgin should have sound out of the box, and it hasn't for a long time now.
          https://www.linuxcounter.net/user/267216

Comment

If I remember correctly, the default behaviour of apt-get is changing in Hardy to automatically install packages marked as "recommended", which in this case would include both those gstreamer ones.

Comment

Re: [SOLVED] no sounds from pidgin

I just had the same problem with the hardy version. So I had no sound in the pidgin enviroment since the gstream-plugin wasn't installed.
              So maybe gstreams belongs to a repository which is not supported by default (such as multiverse or medibuntu) and thus not installed automaticly.

P.S: Could someone add a [SOLVED] to the topic? That would be nice, cause it than is more easy to find this topic from the search-results

Comment

Working...
              X