X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firefox crashing frequently

Hi all,
    I'm finding Firefox is pretty flaky on my Gutsy install at the moment. Not sure why, maybe a bad update, not sure. Anyhow these seem to be the basic problems:

1. Freezes when try to open a PDF document
    2. Crashes occasionally when opening a site that uses flash (usually it just gives the version not supported warning)
    3. Crashes occasionally when opening a Youtube page

P4 3.4 Ghz
    NVidia SLi 7900 GT
    Epox motherboard
    Gutsy (patches are all up to date)

Any ideas on getting it to work better?

Re: Firefox crashing frequently

I've been noticing some odd "halting" kind of behavior on my Gutsy system too, when running Firefox. If you open the Konsole and run
    Code:
    you should be able to observe what is using all the CPU resources at the moment when it "freezes".

I think I might install Iceweasel on my Gutsy system, and try that as a browser, instead of Firefox. All the Mozilla add-ons are compatible with it, AFAIK. And it seems "lighter" on the system (I'm running it on a Sidux test setup).

Comment

That sounds like an idea. I was thinking of moving to Swiftfox but I guess that'll have the same issues that I'm seeing now. I'll give Iceweasel a go. Shame really as it worked okay before for me (Dapper and onwards) although I've always found it slow to start compared to Firefox on Windoze.

Comment

had simlar issues with firefox just shutting down for no reason, all resolved with a change to swiftfox, reading up on it, it sounds like an issue with flash..
        Using:<br />Mint Kubuntu 7.10 (kde4 dual core 2.2ghz 4gb)<br />Freenas (nx6325 hp laptop)<br />Mint Gnome 7.10 (EEE Pc 4g white 1 gb ram)

Comment

I have the same maddening problem, on 3 different machines (all I own). Firefox will just lock up - I have to kill it and restart it. Its almost as if it is getting stuck on some javascript or something... Using "Restore Session" at restart will frequently lock it up again as the previous pages load up.

Comment

In Firefox 3, if you enter about:config in the URL window, then scroll down to

network.dns.disableIPv6
            and change it to "TRUE", that will go a long way toward fixing the slowdown problem -- at least it has on my system. Not a total cure, but an 80% solution.

Iceweasel does work very well -- that's another approach.

Comment

Hmm since a few days something is wrong here too, Firefox does for me not crash but got really slow.
              For two days I'm looking at KSysGuard but have not found what is causing this except the processor is kept at 100%. It feels like a swap/ cache problem but there is no extreme disk access.
              When I go to a Java site the Java_vm takes 225 MB of memory and Xorg can go up to some 500 MB but on a system with 1.32 GB of RAM there is still some free memory available.
              I'm not sure one causes the other but I think the Xorg memory footprint is much bigger than used to be.

I feel the issue might have started with one of the recent updates.

Comment

Working...
              X